Chapter 4

"Red its going to be okay." Mack assures, holding him. Monty looks at Mack confused. "don't worry kiddo, Reds okay he's just upset." Mack murmurs. Monty squirms, trying to wiggle free, and Red lets him go. he runs off to his room and Red whines, holding tighter to Mack.

"we're going to lose him. I don't want to." Red murmurs.

"we're not going to lose him. you heard Doc. we're not going to lose him, we just can't adopt him yet." Mack assures gently. "he also occasionally has to go live with Flo and Ramone, which is also fine. we go play poker once a week with Guido, Luigi, Ramone, and Sheriff anyway. so he spends the night with them once a week. we got this Red." Mack assures. Monty comes running back, little bare feet thumping against the wooden floors making a sound that Mack is actually getting used to and enjoying. Red turns to look at him and Monty holds up a paper. Red reaches down and takes it, looking it over.

"aww Monty, it's beautiful. I'll hang it on the fridge." Red smiles a little, stepping away from Mack. its a picture of a simple cartoonistic flower and its colored. he hangs the picture on the fridge beside the picture of his firetruck and Macks semi. he scoops the boy up and holds him tightly. Monty hugs him as tight as he can cuddling him. he doesn't understand whats happening, he just knows Reds upset. Red holds him and steps back, letting out a shaky sigh, before kissing the boys head.

"he's ours Red. don't worry." Mack assures. "come on. lets go to Flos for breakfast, kid needs a bath after that and we'll have to borrow clothes from her." Mack adds. Red nods and smiles, holding Monty slightly tired.

"okay. you're right. come on buddy." Red murmurs. Monty whines, squirming. "just let me carry you, okay?" Red ask. Monty grunts at him trying to push away. Red sighs a little and sets him down.

"don't worry Red he's ours. its okay." Mack assures gently. Red nods a little and sighs, he perks up a little feeling a little hand on his pants. "see he just wanted to go get Tommy." Mack smiles. Red smiles and scoops Monty up hugging him tightly. Monty shows his little bare foot to Red who laughs a little, tickling it. Monty giggles and squirms.

"you don't need shoes I'll carry you." Red murmurs, smiling. Monty gets an excited lookon his face and squirms until Red puts him down again. he comes back a moment later with more drawns, though he refuses to give them to Red or Mack. "oh are those for Flo?" Red asks. Monty nods letting Red pick him up again.

"okay come on." Mack smiles. he leads them out and towards Flos.

"did anyone ever teach you to talk Monty?" Red asks, looking at him. Monty looks up at him confused before turning back to his drawings to look them over. Red nods and carries him into Flos.

"hey Flo your man is here." Mack calls teasingly. Flo pokes her head out and grins.

"oh there he is! sweet boy." Flo coos, walking over with a cookie. "does my sweet boy want a cookie?" Flo smiles at him. he squeals at her, holding out a handful of drawings. Flo laughs a little and takes them, trading the drawings for the fresh, still warm, cookie. he takes it happily settling in Reds arms. "oh these are so good kiddo." Flo smiles, ruffling his hair gently.

"hey Flo, I know your busy cooing over the kid, but do you have any of Mables old clothing? kid really needs a bath and we don't have anything he can wear and I don't want him running around naked." Mack frowns.

"oh yeah of course. I meant to bring some to you guys yesterday and forgot. I picked out of the good stuff, nothing too girly in there." Flo says. "I have a box of them, I'll get Ramone to drop them off while you three eat." Flo assures.

"thanks Flo." Mack nods.

"can you thank her for the cookie?" Red ask, gently caressing the boys cheek. Monty grins at her quickly making a hand motion. Red smiles at him.