Chapter 1

this is a serious AU. Monty is 4, Doc is 49, Sheriff is 47, Red and Mack are 19-20, Flo and Ramone are 33-34, Sarge is 45, Fillmore is 42, Mater is 22, and Guido and Luigi are 22-23. Sally hasn't come to town yet, Mack isn't a driver for NASCAR but does drive a semi and met Red when he broke down a few years ago in Radiator Springs. Guido and Luigi just moved in about 2 years ago. Montys dad has kidnapped both him and his mother.

Sheriff's making his rounds when he smells it. somethings on fire. it doesn't take him long at all to find it. he frowns and calls it in.

"Doc, Red, I've got a car fire. a bad one just on the outside of Radiator Springs. oh god, is that a carseat?" Sheriff ask. its laying in the road next to a bloody childs shoe. it was clearly not strapped in properly or it wouldn't have been there. it's still half buckled and it looks like the kid as just slipped out of it. "shit, we have a missing child, car seat looks to be for a toddler, maybe 2 or 3 from the size. you better just grab a search team." Sheriff announces. he can hear loud sirens behind him and steps away from his car. "hey! kid? you out here!?" Sheriff calls, looking around. Red pulls up and skids to a stop and immediately works on putting the fire out. Doc, Mater, Mack and Sarge are all following behind.

"Sheriff, any idea where this kid went?" Doc ask.

"no idea Doc, but they're missing a shoe." Sheriff frowns.

"its a no go on the parents. they're crispy." Mack frowns, looking over as Red puts the fire out.

"alright we got a kid out here, probably hurt and scared. find them." Doc calls. they split up and search the area. the kid couldn't have gone too far.

"I got blood." Sarge says. Doc heads over to him and looks around.

"foot prints." Doc mutters. he looks around with his flashlight, before catching a glance at something. he flickers the light to it and sees a small boy flinch and block his face. "hey buddy. it's alright." Doc assures.

"Sheriff we got the kid." Sarge says. he inches forward and the boy clutches the teddy bear in his arms. he pulls away from the two. Doc looks him over, he's injured and only got one shoe on.

"m'doctor kid. I want to help." Doc says, stepping closer. Monty tenses up and scrambles away. "hey easy easy." Doc murmurs. "Red he's heading back for the car!" Doc calls. Red looks up and crouches immediately, putting an arm out in front of the boy gently.

"hey, thats going to be really hot. you don't want to touch it." Red says softly. he swallows hard and steps away from Red. "I'm a fire fighter. I just want to help. my names Red." Red smiles. Monty whimpers and looks around him at the car. "hey lets not look at that alright? can you tell me your name?" Red asks, blocking his view. he stares at him. "thats a nice bear you got there, can you tell me his name?" Red ask. the boy holds tighter to his bear stepping back,

"hey why don't you take him over to the fire truck?" Mack asks. Red nods and reaches for the boys hand.

"would you like to sit in my fire truck? I'll let you turn the siren on." Red smiles. he looks at Red hesitantly and opens and closes one of his hands. its crude sign language, but Reds pretty sure it means lights. "you want to turn on the lights too?" he ask. the boy nods. "cool come on, I'll show you." Red smiles, reaching for his hand. Monty takes it and lets Red lead him to the fire truck. he scoops the boy up and puts him in the seat smiling. Monty swallows a little and shows Red the name badge on his bear. "Tommy? is that your bears name?" Red ask, climbing up into the truck a little. Monty nods a little. "okay. can you tell me how old you are?" he ask. Monty holds up four fingers. "your four? wow." Red smiles.

"hey you got the kid up there?" Doc ask.

"yeah." Red says. Monty pulls on the sleeve of Reds fire fighter suit. "oh right. here this one is for sirens and this one turns on the lights." Red says, showing him. Monty grins and flicks on the sirens. Doc winces a little and shakes his head.