Chapter Twenty Five

Reaching my apartment I stand in the elevator thinking of ways to get rid of Caden. I mean it couldn't be that hard right. Just dodge him you idiot if he walks down one way you go the other. This could maybe work or and hear me out I never leave my room again he will think I am dead and I will have peace. That would work if he didn't know how to pick locks. True, will how about I just move to Nashville.  Nashville? Why there?  I don't know it was the first place I thought of.  Well that's terrible why not go to Hawaii with auntie?  Because she is finally living her best life and I am not going to ruin it. Releasing a sigh I stand in the elevator looking at the open doors regretting my life choices. 

"Ma'am are you okay?" snapping me out of my mental conversation and pity party.  I see a woman with a darker complexion then my own she was gorgeous, she seemed to be around my age, holding a young girls hand who appeared to be mixed standing in front of me concern itched on her face. Snapping out of starring at her she was legit model worthy but the way she held herself I wonder if she knew that.  

"Umm.. Oh yeah I am fine, I didn't realize that the elevator had stopped." letting out a nervous laugh. 

"Are you sure?" gesturing towards my cast leg and crutches, " If you need help we would be more than happy to help you." 

"Oh no" waving her off I place my crutches properly under my arms, "I'm positive I'm fine. If you would excuse me." Hurriedly getting off I rush to my apartment opening the door plopping down on my couch exhausted. Should I even attempt to watch Black Clover today. If I do will I even retain the amazingness that is going on in the show most likely not. Sighing I get up and decide to make a sandwich instead. With that thought I remember Caden making a possible visit. Thinking that  I devise a plan I'll just eat something take my pain meds and take a nap. That way  if he knocks on the door or decides to let himself in he will see I am asleep and leave.  It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!  Huh, I might watch kuzcoo instead shrugging I get to making my sandwich. Halfway thorough eating it and watching Kuzco be turned into a frog. I hear the infamous knock on the door signaling that he is here. Crap, why was he so quick even with his injuries? Pausing my show I slowly get up moving slowly. How is he able to move that quickly? I mean shouldn't he be soaking in a bath with his injuries and working out he could have done way more harm than good.  Without checking the peephole opening the door with worry I  quickly slam it shut locking it. What the fuck is Lorenzo doing here? Panic starts to rise in my chest and my breathing starts to speed up. Is he stalking me? How does he know where I live?

Knocking more instantly and turning the door knob, "Open the door Jade we need to talk." came his demanding voice. 

Slowly backing away from the door, "No, Lorenzo I don't think we need to do anything." reaching my phone on the coffee table I text Ginger and Maria of Lorenzo'z random appearance at the door. Getting automatic responses back Ginger was forty minutes away on a date and Maria was shopping with her mother neither one of them was close enough. "Jade if I have to break this door down to get to you I will." A flashback of a time when his father did this to his mother sends stark fear rushing down my body. Has he become more like the man he swore to never be? 

"Jade open the fucking door! Now!" the venomous words spraying out of his mouth. Cause me to flinch, holding my phone tighter. What more could he want? His  talking shit about me through out the campus, he literally broke my phone two nights before, and his here unwanted. My phone ringing throws me for a loop checking the caller Id its Caden the one who was supposed to be outside of my door instead of this creep. Answering it quickly I hold on to it tightly. "Caden?" I ask in a shaky  whisper, "Where are you?"

"I'm on my way to doc to get checked since you say I need to worry about my health. I called to see if you wanted anything from the Italian restaurant down the street when I got back." confusion hanging onto his words most likely from my whispering.

Food was the last thing on my mind. "No thank you I already ate." 

 "Well  it was for later since I probably won't be back until tonight. Also why are you whispering?"

I thought about lying to him but I knew that wouldn't work. Releasing a shaky breath I reply, "Lorenzo is here and is threatening to barge in." Right after the words left my mouth I hear tires screeching and cars honking. "I am on my way sweetheart just stay on the phone with me everything is going to be okay." 

"Okay." Closing my eyes I bask in the release of tension from body. But then the banging begins. Body tensing my breathing is coming a little quicker hearing that Caden tries to distract me. 

"Where are your friends?"

"Ginger is having a date night and Maria is spending time with her mother."

"Tell her to cut her date short."

"She's too far out." 

"Maria?"

"Same thing. It sounds to me like you are too." Going to the kitchen I grab a butcher knife if he thinks that this is going to be a reenactment of his parents homeboy is dead wrong. 

"Nah I'll be there soon." 

"How soon?"

"Now." Hearing the screeching of tires in the parking lot. I knew he wasn't driving safely at all. 

"How far away were you?"

"Not that far." Hearing doors open a swooshing of wind through the speaker I know his running. "Just give me a minute to get to the elevator and I'll be there soon."

"Alright." I say no longer using a whisper. 

"Who the fuck are you talking to?!?" Lorenzo shouts agitated doubling his attack on the door. 

Hearing the dinging of the elevator bell Caden suddenly hangs up I was about to start panicking. "Me!" he shouts at Lorenzo. Putting my knife down on the kitchen counter I rush to the door to stare in the peephole and see them confront each other. 

"What fuck are you doing here Beast? This is between me and her."

"As far as I am concerned there is nothing between you two at all." was his cool nonchalant response. How could he sound so bored like he didn't care at all like this was a boring subject in class?

"This isn't like a few years ago at the halloween party. Beast I'll knock your ass out." They had this issue a few years ago at a halloween party. When? Like a dose of cold water I remembered Caden was Conan the Barbarian. 

Caden's dark laughter doesn't bod will with anyone. "Why don't you try it pussy?" Dropping the challenge out there I wait and listen to see what is going to happen. Five minutes went by and there was no commotion, no sounds of scuffling, just complete silence. Finally Lorenzo states, "Fuck this I have better things to do than play with you two." 

"Good, remember that the next time you even think of  bothering her." Stomping away from my door  Lorenzo yells that this isn't over. I slump down finally able to breath in the normal way I wasn't able to before. The light tapping Caden does followed by his nickname for me springs tears into my eyes. Slowly, cautiously opening the door for him I am grabbed into a wonderful, comforting  bear hug placing my head on his shoulder I let myself release the fear and shame I felt. 

"I can't wait to teach you how to fight." he whispers causing me to let out a watery laugh.