xlvi.

- - -
remember when we were little and we would accidentally bite a kid on the playground. our teachers would go, 'say you're sorry', and we would say it, but we wouldn't mean it because the stupid kid we bit, totally deserved it.
- - -

"chicken," alex nods his head, taking another bite of the skewer he held in his hand.

"good chicken," george elaborates.

"yeah, chicken," chloe and arizona both shrug their shoulders simultaneously.

"i know it's chicken," izzie rolls her eyes at them all. "i want to know what it tastes like."

"tastes like chicken," alex shrugs, causing izzie to let out a loud sigh.

"i'm having surgery today," izzie reminds them.

"maybe," bailey interjects. "if the mets have shrunk."

"i am maybe having surgery today," izzie corrects herself. "and as such, i cannot taste the chicken for myself, so i really need you guys to tell me what it tastes like," she stresses, gesturing to the laptop sat in front of her. "i need to nail down this dinner so i can announce it on chloe and mark's wedding website."

"there's a website?" chloe cocks her brow, her mouth still full of chicken.

"so can you please be a little more articulate than just chicken?" izzie completely disregards chloe's question, before she's distracted by her bathroom door being pushed open and mark walks out wearing a suit. "yay!" izzie beams at him, raising her phone to snap a picture. "oh, that's the one."

"very dapper, dr. sloan," bailey commends.

"you're serious about this?" mark raises his brow as he looks down at the suit- morning coat and all. "it's not some cruel joke?"

"you look fantastic," izzie continues taking pictures of him, a smile plastered right across her face. "he looks fantastic, right."

"yeah," chloe and george both agree with a nod at the same time arizona shrugs her shoulders saying, "uh, whatever."

mark takes one last look down at the suit before returning to the restroom, which is when the other doctors turn back to izzie.

"good luck with your scan," chloe smiles.

"yeah, bye," arizona waves.

"good chicken," george reiterates as the three of them head towards the door.

"so?" izzie looks at alex who was now tasting the next skewer of meat.

"pork," he shrugs before leaning forward to give her a kiss goodbye.

once everyone has left but bailey, izzie turns to her, looking at her expectantly, with a raised brow and a coy smile.

"oh. fine," bailey exhales deeply. "i'll taste the chicken."

- - -
but as we get older, making amends isn't so simple. after the playground days are over you can't just say it, you have to mean it.
- - -

whilst walking away from where she is currently stood beside arizona at the nurses station, chloe is so deeply invested in the chart in her hands that she doesn't notice owen, leading her to bump straight into him.