xi.

- - -
as interns, we know what we want, to become surgeons. and we'll do anything to get there.
- - -

the elevator is quiet- comfortably quiet- allowing chloe to read through her medical journal. her back leaning against the wall as she moves from floor to floor. however, despite the quiet, she can't help but look away from the journal in her hands, and up at richard who's stood in front of her, his back towards her.

something was different about richard today, even though out of respect, chloe was busy pretending not to notice. today, the chief's hair and beard were very dark- almost black- which was a very stark comparison to the usual grey.

eventually, the elevator dings and the doors slide open to reveal derek, immediately furrowing his brow at richard's new appearance.

"what's different?" derek's brows are knitted together and his eyes are narrowed as the doors close behind him.

"nothing," richard shrugs.

"leave him be," chloe warns, briefly looking up from the medical journal.

"what happened to your hair?" derek's brow remains furrowed as he continues to look at the chief.

"nothing," richard insists.

"mm-hmm," derek nods, clearly unconvinced as the doors behind him begin to slowly slide open once more.

derek briefly turns his head to see that mark and burke are waiting to enter. he then steps towards chloe at the back of the elevator, allowing the two doctors to step inside. both of them are eyeing the chief up and down with the same facial expressions as derek had previously as they walk around him.

"what happened to your hair?" burke asks.

"leave him be," chloe harshly clears her throat.

"he dyed it," mark looks at richard's hair with slight amusement from where he stands near chloe, and richard sighs.

"but why?" derek eyes the back of richard's head, resulting in chloe whacking him with the medical journal in her hands. "ow!"

"leave him be," chloe warns, with a much harsher tone than previous.

"what am i doing? what?" derek shrugs, turning to the blonde, his voice a whisper.

"okay, but why?" burke presses as chloe and derek continue to bicker.

"men who have grey hair are noticed less than men who don't," richard reluctantly reveals, his voice quiet. the three other men then look between each other with furrowed brows.

"by who?" derek enquires and chloe sighs to herself as richard briefly shifts his body to look at the four doctors stood behind him.

"well..." richard exhales sharply.

"by the ladies?" burke guesses and mark begins to laugh, harshly resulting in chloe looking at him with daggers in her eyes.

when he realises it isn't a joke, mark attempts to play his laughter off by coughing into his hand. both burke, and derek share mark's amusement, but chloe remains appalled by their lack of sensitivity.