xxi.

- - -
there's this person in my head. she's brilliant. capable. she can do chest tubes and craniotomies, she can run a code without freaking out.
- - -

whilst the sound of moans and giggling echo through the closed door of on call room 3c, bailey harshly knocks on the wood, keeping her other hand on tuck's stroller.

"dr. sloan," bailey calls, knocking again, when she receives no response other than the continuous giggling.

"dr. bailey," mark greets, pulling the door ajar, his eyes widening when he looks down to find her accompanied by her son. "dr. bailey's baby."

"it appears nurse tanya is no longer available for your liposuction at 10:00," bailey informs him, lacking patience and amusement with regards to the situation. as she speaks, her eyes trail down him with distaste and his flicker, uncomfortably, between bailey and the infant. "shall i cancel the procedure?"

"no, no, no. get me another nurse. get me kate. yeah," mark nods, quickly, as he pulls his head back into the on call room and closes the door between them.

the sound of giggles and moans return almost instantaneously, and bailey exhales deeply, rolling her eyes before she knocks on the door again.

"dr. altman, dr. sloan would like to use nurse kate this morning," bailey shouts through the door. "currently, she's scheduled for your appendectomy, but if you're willing to move it back an hour, perhaps she could do both."

"ow!" mark groans.

"sorry," chloe giggles. "ow."

"dr. altman, i know you're in there," bailey knocks, once more, with more aggression than previous.

"yeah, fine. just an hour later, an hour earlier. whatever," chloe shrugs, pulling the door open just enough to peer her head out as she uses one hand to try and pull her scrub pants back on.

"hey, tuck," chloe coos at the baby in the stroller before looking up at bailey who is looking at the blonde with slight disgust. "don't judge me, bailey."

- - -
she's a really good surgeon. maybe even a great surgeon. she's me. only so much better. it was a good day. maybe even a great day.
- - -

"you paged me, chief?" mark straightens out his scrub top and lab coat as begins following richard through the hospital.

"yeah, human resources called," richard informs him, his annoyance extremely evident. "as of this morning, the nurses are boycotting your surgeries."

"i haven't done anything to the nurses," mark protests and richard turns to him with a raised brow, and he shrugs. "well, nothing that can get us sued."

"well, whatever you did, they felt strongly enough about it that they sent their union rep," richard pulls them to a halt outside the conference room before pushing the door open, his brow furrowing when his eyes land on the woman who left him not too long ago sat at the table. "adele?"

"wait, your wife's the union goon?" mark's facial expression mirrors the chief's confusion as he looks to richard.

"nurse mediator, dr. sloan," adele corrects him before gesturing to the man stood beside her. "and you know wayne sheehan from human resources."