x.

- - -
as surgeons, we live in a world of worse case scenarios. we cut ourselves off from hoping for the best because too many times the best doesn't happen.
- - -

outside the hospital, past the ambulance bay, chloe and izzie are stood outside the double doors that have, 'denny duquette memorial clinic' plastered above them.

"eight days, $8 million," izzie beams, looking at the clinic with astonishment.

"and we're open for business," chloe excitedly squeezes the intern's arm before the two of them proceed inside.

- - -
but every now and then something extraordinary occurs and suddenly best case scenarios seem possible.
- - -

"hey, chief," burke greets richard, approaching him at the nurses station whilst he's looking through a patient's file and drinking coffee. "i'd like to use the helicopter to transfer a patient from denver."

"morning chief. i found a way to fund a stereotactic robot," derek announces, pulling a sheet of paper from the file in his hands and handing it to richard before he's had chance to respond to burke. "i want to make sure you're on board before we-"

"it's a little early in the morning for you two to be chasing me down," richard cuts him off as addison watches it unfold from the other end of the nurses station.

"i'm going to be doing a bloodless pulmonary valve translocation on this patient," burke informs him.

"this machine is an excellent source of revenue for the hospital," derek gestures to the paper he gave to richard.

"aren't you gonna get in there?" mark asks addison as he approaches her. "if you want to be chief, you got to fight with the big boys."

"well, i intend to fight like a girl. let them kill each other, and then i'll be the only one left standing," she explains.

"and then there's me," mark reminds her and she turns to look at him with her brows knitted together. "there you go underestimating me again."

"it's not that i underestimate you," addison shakes her head. "it's just that i don't think about you... at all."

"well, you should," mark grins before stepping away from her and over to richard. "i was, uh, heading down to the clinic. it's opening today, and i thought it might be nice to show dr. altman a little support."

"very thoughtful, dr. sloan. i think i'll join you," richard tells mark who turns to derek and burke with a smug grin. "gentlemen, if you'll excuse me."

"certainly," derek nods, stepping aside to allow them through. as mark passes him, he whispers. "nicely done."

- - -
and every now and then something amazing happens, and against our better judgment we start to have hope.
- - -

"okay, welcome to the denny duquette memorial clinic," chloe smiles to cristina, alex, and izzie, who is bouncing up and down with excitement. "barring any surgical emergencies, you will be working here today."

"working on what?" cristina looks around at the empty beds that are all still in pristine condition.

"right now olivia will be familiarising you with the protocol for the flu vaccine," chloe tells them, nodding her head towards the red headed nurse.