Chapter 17: holidays

My day's were dark.

People had noticed, people had asked. But i'd shrug them off with an 'i'm okay' or a 'stop worrying about me'

Obviously nobody stopped worrying. But people learned not to push.

I was constantly questioning the severity of being the dark lords daughter. I knew nothing of him a few months ago. Now he could be my father.

My grandmother always hid me from who Voldemort was. She never wanted me to know who the murderer of my parents were. I understand why, i'd hide the same thing.

But.

I couldn't help but wonder how i never heard a word. Years of Hogwarts, never told a word. It was as if it was the biggest secret known to witches and wizards. Everyone knew he killed harry's parents. Everyone knew he killed Charlie and Nancy Verula.

and yet i didn't.

Nobody ever questioned me on it. I mean who would?

'hey, kid. You know your parents murderer? it was this bloke called Voldemort.' merlin no. who would even think of saying that to a child?

But i guess my biggest question. is why i don't feel. so surprised.

"Maya." a voice spoke, pulling me from my thoughts. "hm?" i hummed, glancing to Cedric who was standing beside me. "it's the end of Snape's class. Come on, sleepy." he smiled softly at me.

"oh right." i mumbled, standing up and grabbing my wand.

Cedric began to walk towards the door and i slowly followed after. "Miss Verula." Snape spoke, causing me to look over to him.

"stay behind." he added on, keeping his eyes on the parchment he was marking.

Cedric gave me a pitiful look before heading out and closing the door behind him. "sir?" i questioned, walking towards his desk.

He slowly lifted his head.

"you need to stop pitying yourself." he scowled causing me to frown.

i paused.

"excuse me?" i questioned, hoping i didn't hear him right.

"you're driving yourself into a depression. You found out how you got the mark and you're suddenly all anxiety ridden and dissociative. you've had it for months and now you find out how. it shouldn't change a thing." He lifted his head, raising an eyebrow at me.

"i'm sorry. what?" i asked, frowning.

Is he actually being serious?

"the dark mark is a symbol of hell. of destruction. of death. of pure terrorism. but the dark lord has shown no return. Some loose death eater marked you. Clearly a woman very loyal to him." he stood up whilst glaring at me. "you're crying over a wizard who as far as everyone knows is very, truly dead. Your mark will be with you forever, Learn. to. deal. with it." he spat through small pauses.

I was frozen. I know for a fact he did not say that.

"you are dismissed." he waved his hand slightly, wafting me away. His eyes went back to the parchment.

"no!" I shouted, slamming my hand down on his desk. My emotions began to rise.

his face turned from slight frustration to pure anger. "how dare you?" he growled, walking around his desk to tower over me in height.

I didn't budge. I was furious.

"how would you know if he has returned, how would you know?! it's not like you work for the man. It's not like you know him on a personal level." i spat.