18 I Wonder Where He Went

The person in question had just made his way back to the spirit beast tribe's territory. He had taken some more time to calm down after he left the Nine Heavens when his conversation with Jinde had been finished. Naturally, he had spent that time in the mortal realm so as to make sure that not too much time would pass for his lover.

If he vanished for several years while Hua Lin Yu was waiting for him and fretting about what had happened and how things would continue between them now, it definitely wouldn't help their relationship. That was a risk he wasn't willing to take.

By now, he felt that he was calm enough to speak with him. He could explain what had happened and why and then, maybe things would be easy again. In any case, he also believed that Hua Lin Yu hadn't done it maliciously. He just hadn't thought about it. As long as he explained to him why he didn't want to take the mask off in front of him and that he just needed some more time, it shouldn't be a problem. At the very least, that was what he thought.

He went to the spirit beast king's palace and to the room that they had shared before, his heart brimming with impatience. He wanted to see him again and make up already.

As a result, he found the room empty. Xin Lan furrowed his brows and then went to grab a servant that was working not too far from the door. He raised his brows at him, some undercurrents visible in his eyes. "My fiance ..."

The servant froze and was clearly evading his gaze.

Xin Lan narrowed his eyes. "Did something happen?"

"That ..." The servant really wasn't sure what to say. From what he knew, they had informed the people of the dragon race so that they could inform this person but now, that senior of the dragon race had appeared here and he didn't seem to know what exactly was going on.

This was something the servant really didn't want to have anything to do with even though he had heard some things. So in the end, he decided to throw the hot potato to somebody else. "I am not sure but His Majesty should. I think I heard that he wanted to speak to you anyway!"

Xin Lan glanced at the door and there was a bad feeling in his stomach. It couldn't be that something had happened to Hua Lin Yu, right? No, certainly not! His lover would be alright. Nothing would happen to him.

He didn't even bother to answer the servant and just rushed to the throne room, staring at the king that was currently having a talk with one of his subjects.

When the spirit beast king saw him, he gulped. From the looks of it, this was one pissed-off dragon. He hurriedly waved his subject away and motioned for Xin Lan to sit down.

"Where is Hua Lin Yu?" Xin Lan didn't bother to sit and just stared at him, wanting to know what exactly had happened right this moment.

The spirit beast king gulped again, silently cursing Wu Ya. "He left a while ago with Wu Ya. They said that they were going back to his family's estate. I'm not quite sure what happened but you will be able to find them there.

"I am sorry that you weren't informed. We send somebody to the dragon realm so that they could reach out to you since we didn't know how to do so. I didn't think that you would come back here only find out he already left."

Xin Lan slowly exhaled. So Xiao Yu had gone back to the Hua family's estate. Well, that at least meant that he was alright. And, to be honest, he also shouldn't be that surprised.

Hua Lin Yu had probably been quite freaked out when he suddenly left on what should have been their wedding night. Now, as a result, he had probably needed somebody to talk about this and console him. Why wouldn't he go to his family for that?

"Well, I didn't hear from anyone. So I guess they weren't able to reach me either. In any case, thank you for informing me. I will go look for him there." He nodded and then left without another word.

The spirit beast king exhaled slowly, glad that this was finally over. In the future, he should really have a talk with the dragon king to make sure that his people didn't just come here like this. It was much too difficult to deal with.

On the other hand, Xin Lan rushed over to the Hua family's estate. After this, shock, he just wanted to pull his lover into his arms to reassure himself that he was alright before he even said anything. Then, naturally, he should also apologize for what he had done and explain himself.

When he finally arrived at the estate, he immediately rushed to Hua Lin Yu's room only to find it empty as well.

Xin Lan closed his eyes and took a deep breath before slowly exhaling much like the spirit beast king had done before, feeling that fate really was too cruel. He had come here to have a talk and now, he once again found an empty room and nothing else. Well, in that case, Xiao Yu was probably with his brother.

He turned around and then rushed to Hua Lin Rong's courtyard, only to find that one empty as well. By now, he really wanted to punch something. Today wasn't his day. Somehow, no matter where he looked, his lover just wasn't there.

He glanced up at the sky, wondering if there was some kind of reason for this. Most likely, these two might've gone somewhere together. The city? But he would have trouble finding them there. No, maybe the problem wasn't the place but the time instead. Yes, maybe the Hua family had just gotten together for a meal. It was about that time.

Not wanting to wait around any longer, he went to grab a servant that had been close by and asked about the family members.

The servant was startled at first but recognizing Xin Lan from when he had been here with Hua Lin Yu before on their visits, he immediately led him over to the hall where the Hua family was currently sitting.

When they saw Xin Lan walk in, everybody suddenly froze up though.

Xin Lan's lips twitched. Even if the line-up in front of him hadn't told him, he would've been able to guess from their expressions. "It seems that my lover isn't here either. I really wonder where he went this time."