Chapter 29: I dreamt of you all summer long

Sarawat's POV

Three weeks later

I heard the store door open the 17th time today. Yes, I counted because that's how many times I looked up expecting it would be Tine.

But it was never Tine.

After spending three weeks in that godforsaken beach house where we weren't even allowed to walk up to the beach, I came back to a dust-ridden store and a throng of customers who were confused why we had closed down the shop for more than half of the month with absolutely no notice. And all I could really do is lie.

I lied and I sat there in the store, hoping Tine would come back too — But he wasn't here at all. His numbers were disconnected, his apartment had been emptied. And even after asking dad continuously for the last three weeks about Tine's whereabouts, I hadn't found anything.

Dad refused to tell me anything about what had happened with Tine, why was he at the NIA, or why did some random people suddenly kidnap me. So, now, all I could really do was wait. Tine had promised me he would come back, and I was hoping this was one of the few promises he would actually keep.

When the door opened the 18th time, I looked up like a reflex again. To my surprise, it was a face that I recognized, but not the face I wanted to see.

"Hey Wat. How have you been holding up?"

"You can call me Sarawat."

"Umm.. but Tine calls you Wat?"

"Exactly." I looked away. "What do you want Max?"

Max sighed, fished in his pocket, and took out an envelope. "Tine asked me to give you this." Curiosity building in, I took the envelope from him. "Just a disclaimer though, I did check the contents of the envelope before coming here. I didn't want to invade your privacy but I had to do it after the stunt Tine pulled the last time."

"What stunt?"

Max looked at me seemingly confused. "I don't know Sarawat. You tell me. "

"Where is Tine? Is he okay?"

"I don't know where is Tine, but I am guessing he is okay."

"You know where is he, don't you?"

"I don't. Even if I knew, I wouldn't be able to tell you."

"When is he coming back?"

"I. Don't. Know."

"Can you tell me at least one thing, Max? Did Tine have to disappear because of what I did? Because I shot those men?"

Max stared at me, staying silent for some time. "No."

That's all Max said before turning back and leaving the store.

I went inside my office to open the envelope Max gave me. Inside it, was a letter in Tine's handwriting, along with two other things — The ring and the guitar pick that I had returned to Tine.

"Why would he give this back to me — in a fucking letter? Couldn't he just walk here on his own?" I clicked my tongue and opened the letter.

Hey Wat

When I woke up in the hospital, they gave me all of my belongings that I had with me when I came in. And I realised two of those things weren't mine at all. They belonged to my fiance.