Chapter 25: You're not sorry

Sarawat's POV

Just as I finished keeping some food for Tine in his fridge, I decided to look around his apartment — properly this time. There was something that really confused me -- There wasn't any laptop, or work papers of any kind in his house. Being a lawyer, I know for a fact that Tine had to keep a lot of paper trail, but not one of those papers ever made it home. Sure, some of his cases could be confidential, but not possibly all of them.

Normal people at least bring some kind of work home, be it big or small. The only person who I know who never brings any work home is — is my dad, because all of his work is confidential. But that's because he is in the NIA

And Tine has friends in the NIA

"No. no. no. why does this whole thing keep pointing in the same direction? Why am I even thinking about it? That can't be true."

I opened a bedside drawer to may be look for something suspicious, but instead I was hit with a big pang of guilt — I can't just go through Tine's house like this. Tine doesn't even want me here.

Even if he is hiding something from me, it doesn't give me the right to just go through all of his stuff without his consent. Two wrongs can't make a right.

I took a deep breath, stepped out of his apartment, and started driving towards the store.

Just a few minutes on the road and my phone started to ring — It was Mom.

"Hello? Wat?"

"Hey Mom, what's up?"

"Wat, where are you? You aren't busy at the store, are you?"

"I think you already know I am not at the store, Mom. You want me to run an errand, dont you?" Mom always calls Phukong first if she needs something done. I am always the second call, which means she already rang Phukong and she knew he was at the store already.

"I cooked chicken for your dad but he forgot his lunchbox at home."

"Mom, he can just eat it when he comes back home."

"No, I spent four hours on it this morning, so he has to eat it for lunch."

"Mom, I am already very tired and I need to go to the store and—"

"I already talked to Phukong, he is at the store right now."

I sighed, I already knew that. "Fine. I'll come in 10 minutes to pick up the lunch box."

"Good, and why don't you and Tine come for dinner this weekend? He called me last week and told me he really liked my food the last time."

"He—he called you?"

"Yeah he calls me often and he even sends me really cute cat pictures. I don't know where he finds them though."

"Mom I am not sure if Tine can come over anytime soon. He's — He's busy with some work thing. A case he has taken on."

"Oh is that so? Poor boy. Tell him to not tire himself too much. Come home whenever you guys get time."

"Yes, mom,"

/

/

/

/

Taking the lunch box from home, I headed straight to the NIA headquarters. Dad wasn't picking up my calls, which meant he was probably in some meeting, so I decided to call his secretary instead.