ғᴏʀᴛʏ sɪx; ᴅᴇᴠᴏᴛɪᴏɴ

devotion 

(noun

loyalty and love for someone or something 

GREY LIGHT filters in through the gap in the closed curtains, the poor sun trapped behind heavy grey clouds that whisper of rain later on in the day, when they will be in surgery and all that they will be able to hear is the water slashing against the walls and the windows, a torrent of rain that will soak through their skins when they go on smoke breaks and try to run to their cars without catching a chill.

But, for now, when the wind is still just a breeze blowing through soft lips, the rain is an afterthought on the minds of the couple currently naked beneath their heavy duvet, whispering to one another so as not to bother their other house guests who always take up too much space in the home they love.

Alex's arms are warm around Everett's waist. He'd woken her before their alarm with his lips skimming her stomach, soft and heated, hands beginning to dig into the flesh of her thigh. Her breathy moans had spurred him on and, although they have to be at work in less than an hour, neither of them feel much like moving, much too spent after their morning activities.

His lips are even more gentle on her shoulder blades, like the breeze playing between the leaves on the trees outside, just enough pressure to let her know of his existence but not enough to make any sort of mark on her skin. A part of her wishes that he would so they could go again, and again, and again, never stop until they're ripped apart, never stop until they die entwined like lovers caught in the aftermath of a world-ending volcano, later to be found by archaeologists digging where they shouldn't be. She tilts her head slightly so that Alex's lips can find her neck, leaving behind trails of volcanic ash that already make her feel like turning to stone.

He tugs her closer so that her back hits the warm expanse of his chest.

"God." He nuzzles the space between her neck and shoulder as if trying to burrow a place for himself beneath her skin, becoming a vein, an artery, a new bone that they will never be able to take away from her. "God, I never want to move. Amen."

Everett's soft laugh is muffled by the pillow. "That's not a prayer."

"Say my name," he whispers against the skin between her shoulder blades. There are a few freckles there that have banded together to create a small discoloured patch of skin. He kisses it over, and over, and over again.

"Alex." It exhales from her mouth like a breath of fresh air, rolling over him like the soft green grass being tickled by the wind in the early Spring. His eyes close and she can feel his eyelashes flutter against her skin.