ᴛᴡᴏ ; ɪɴᴠᴀsɪᴏɴ

invasion 

(noun

an unwelcome intrusion into another's domain 

IN THE driver's seat of her orange Kia Rio that had been a gift three years ago for getting through medical school, Everett Ramos turns down the classic rock music playing from the radio that reminds her too much of her pa so that she can focus on the workmen fixing the name of her old hospital onto the sign of Seattle Grace. Her mind flashes back to the night before, to the mixture of alcohol and bad decisions that led her into the bed of a stranger, relieved by the news that she's still got a job to wake up to but drowning in fear of how long it will last once she's sent into the wilderness of merging hospitals.

In the passenger seat sits her best friend, Alina Atwall, already leaning over to pick up her backpack from the back seat that holds her scrubs and her notebooks and her beloved light blue stethoscope. She still smiles that bright, beautiful grin that lifts the spirits of all her neuro patients, unbothered by the oncoming storm of having to work harder than ever before. The Seattle Grace residents have had their head start, it's their turn to take over the spotlight, to force their new Chief of Surgery to take notice of them.

Alina knows she has this in the bag. She comes from a long line of Dr Atwall's, three Harper Avery's in their stack of family awards that line the walls of the patriarch's three-storey house in the middle of Washington D.C. There's no way Dr Richard Webber will throw her out on her ass, not when her father is the President's personal doctor.

Everett gulps as Alina hands over her cotton shoulder bag, stuffed full of textbooks, notebooks and her scrubs. At the very bottom sits a lilac water bottle, the same colour as her chosen stethoscope, that rattles around in the bag as she steps out of her car, the door slamming shut behind her.

She's not as lucky as her best friend, coming from a family of five who moved from Luquillo, Puerto Rico to Bemidji, Minnesota in an attempt to better the lives of the four children who were still sucking on their thumbs as they crossed the border into a land they hadn't been prepared for. Coming from parents with jobs on the lowest scale, Everett and her brothers had been forced to pursue careers bigger than their dreams. Disappointment clings to their backs like the devil, whispering sadistic words of mortification that drags them to second-guess every move they've ever made, but it's pushed them to achieve the best of the best in their chosen careers. Her brothers make their names known in the fields of dentistry, architecture and computing, so now it is her turn to take the stage in orthopedic surgery.