sᴇᴠᴇɴ; sᴘʜᴀʟʟᴏʟᴀʟɪᴀ

sphallolalia 

(noun

flirtatious talk that leads nowhere

"SO SHE doesn't want any?" Everett asks Callie, halving a hot dog between themselves in the cafeteria. Their day has been quieter than usual, what with everyone focused on the fishing accident that almost caused a son to kill his father, and so they're stuck together, Everett being forced to listen to Callie and Arizona's relationship problems. Today, it's all about children.

"Nope. Not even one. Everyone wants kids!"

"Not Arizona, apparently," Everett tries to joke, slurping down her soda. Callie just stares at her, unimpressed by her brave act of defiance instead of immediately taking her side. Everett rolls her eyes, realising that her jokes won't get her through this conversation. "Okay, so, Arizona might not want kids right now, but she might in the future. I don't think you should throw away your relationship on a whim."

Callie heaves a sigh, throwing one of her long fries in her mouth. Everett watches her chew for a moment, knowing that she's thinking all about Mark Sloan and his new grandchild who lies in a cot only a floor or so above them, waiting to be picked up by his adoptive parents. Everett's eyes dance around the cafeteria for a moment, catching on to the way that Karev presses a gentle kiss to Lexie Grey's lips and makes her smile like a goon. That doesn't look like just sex to her.

"I thought it had something to do with her brother," Callie picks up again, face falling as she recalls her and Arizona's conversation in the lounge. Everett's head snaps back to her Attending, trying to stop her eyes from being drawn back over to the fresh-faced couple only a few tables away. "He died when she was young, so I really thought it had to do with the pain of that, you know, because she sees that kind of stuff every day."

"And what? She told you to fuck off?" Callie looks up at Everett and nods. The younger surgeon lets a whistle escape through her teeth, pulling a face that tells her teacher that she royally fucked up with that one. "Yeah, don't try to psychoanalyse your girlfriend, I don't think that ever goes well."

"You know firsthand?"

"Eh, I had a girlfriend who tried to do the same thing. Thought my love for work had something to do with having poor parents, so I basically told her I spent all my time in the hospital so I didn't have to see her." Callie's shocked laughter causes a few heads to turn their way, but they don't notice.

"That was so bitchy!"

"I was pissed."

"Yeah, remind me never to piss you off."