ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ; ɪɴsɪᴘɪᴇɴᴄᴇ

insipience 

(noun

lack of wisdom; foolishness  

"SHE'S SITTING outside, Ever," complains the voice on the other end of the phone. Everett's phone sits beside her on the bed as she struggles into a pair of jeans that she can hardly zip up like she used to. She knows it's because of the copious amounts of alcohol she's indulged in over the past few months. First, it has been to help Callie through her breakup with Arizona, and then it was to help Callie deal with having sex with Mark and the awful haircut Yang gave her when she just up and quit her residency to become a bartender at Joe's. And, of course, it ended with Jackson and Karev's fistfight over April, which is not something Everett saw coming but at least she got to help everyone drink away their sorrows, even if that did result in a drastic change from a size ten to a size twelve that makes her jeans fit way too tight around her thighs.

"Did you leave?" Everett asks Callie, trying her hardest not to fall off the bed as she wiggles into the denim fabric. She's going to have to start running again if she wants to fit into any of her clothes.

"Of course I did!" Everett heaves a sigh of relief when she manages to zip up her jeans, popping the button in place to hold them there. It's going to be such a struggle to get back into these at the end of her shift, but hopefully, a few laps around the hospital will strengthen the jiggle of her thighs. "I told her to go back to Malawi. I don't want her here!"

"Really?" she asks, checking the straps of her bra before she tugs on a thick sweater to keep out the December chill. It's been a few days since Christmas and the chill in the air is getting harsher. At least there isn't any snow. Growing up in Minnesota should have prepared Everett for inches upon inches of snow almost up to her knees, but any time she was anywhere close to the freezing white hellscape, her heart would shrivel up and she'd spend the whole time dreaming about summer sunshine.

"I don't want her here Ever, I've never been so free. Plus, I got a cool new breakup haircut. It's ruined on her!"

"Your haircut is really cool," Everett muses, slipping into a pair of weathered down boots she remembers buying in her second year at college. "But you were a mess when she left and you loved her so much, I think you still do. I mean, didn't you tell Mark the sex reminded you of her. Maybe, you should try and give her a chance."

"You're meant to be on my side," Callie snaps through the phone, her voice as icy as the wind swaying the trees outside. Everett sighs, which she knows Callie will pick up despite the fact she's as far away from her phone as she can get right now. "Just don't be late, okay, I really need to talk about this with you."