ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ; ᴇᴛʜᴇʀᴇᴀʟ

ethereal 

( adjective

extremely delicate and light in a way that seems not to be of this world 

THE COFFEE on Everett's tongue is sweet, but it's too hot, starting to burn the taste buds it swims over on its way down her throat. She tries to pay attention to what Karev is saying all the way at the front of the conference room about one of the African children currently in the hospital, but it's difficult when she was kept up all night by Meredith and Derek's incessant giggling in the bedroom . Now she's struggling not to fall asleep on Jackson from their spots at the back of the room, hidden behind everyone else so they can chat between themselves.

"Adorable African children," Yang grumbles from Everett's other side, arms crossed over her chest as she too struggles to pay attention. "Shameless ego-stroking. Karev is a genius."

"Yeah, he's single-handedly stealing Chief Resident out from under all of us, and we're helping him do it." Everett nods along to Jackson, head resting on the hard surface of his bicep that tenses just a little under her movement. She tries not to yawn.

"We can't refuse to treat sick little kids," she points out, taking another long sip of coffee that burns the tip of her tongue. It's starting to numb. She hopes that wakes her up enough to get her through the rest of this meeting.

"Oh, he is a genius," agrees April, letting out a long sigh from Jackson's other side. She then echoes her previous statement in Swahili. The other four fourth-year residents standing near her share looks. April always does go above and beyond - teacher's pet syndrome and all that.

"Well, he only has a shot because I've been benched. The playing field has been levelled, you're all welcome." Everett rolls her eyes openly at Yang, causing Jackson to let out a snort of laughter that he's forced to hide behind a cough, while Meredith argues about her Alzheimer's trial kicking all their asses.

She supposes she's the only one who hasn't been going above and beyond to get the titular role of Chief Resident, a permanent boost on her record that will send Fellowships flooding in, hospitals begging her to come break bones in their fabulous E.R's. And the whole time, she'll be laughing with Callie behind their backs, becoming their own Latina duo about to destroy the age-old world of orthopedic surgery. But, that won't happen, not when all she's done is taken on more surgeries in an attempt to keep their ortho division from crumbling where it stands now that Callie is out on maternity leave and all Sheridan does is eat days old food from the fridges and complain about all the young people around him. That won't propel her into the job of Chief Resident. But, maybe one day, she can spearhead her own orthopedics department.