ᴛᴇɴ; ʟᴀᴄᴜɴᴀ

lacuna 

(noun

a blank space; a missing part 

THE YAWN that escapes Everett's lips hurts her mouth more than it should. Even with her newly prescribed sleeping pills, getting a full night's sleep doesn't wash away the tiredness that has settled over her shoulders. She wears it like a new jacket, hiding yawns behind her hand whenever she stops long enough to think about it, pouring coffee down her throat as if that will shed this new skin she can't seem to shake off. She's gotten used to the begrudging tiredness that follows her everywhere.

"What?" Arizona's voice stops her from thinking about the yawn that's started to build in her throat. Her hand comes up to cover it before she can stop.

"Nothin'" sings Callie from her side. "Just, you're awesome." They've all gathered in the lobby for Shepherd's return to Chief, despite the fact most of the residents still haven't been cleared for surgery. Everett has one last therapy session to go before hopefully, she can join Callie in orthopedics again. Her heart pounds for the chance to be back in an operating room.

"You guys are cute," Everett cuts in, leaning against the reception desk beside the couple who seem to have gone back to the early stages of their relationship where all they do is stare at one another and make out in front of everybody. "It's sickening."

"You just need to find somebody," Callie tries to tell her, but Everett's scoff cuts her off quickly. She sends her friend a cutting glance before her eyes flick back to the door, watching as they're pushed open and Shepherd walks in with Meredith, Yang and April by his side, grinning at the applause that erupts for him.

"Thank you, thank you very much," he says when the applause dies down and he's back on the staircase, high above the rest of them. He's always been the typical neurosurgeon; gorgeous and witty with a God complex to rival the deities. "It's great to be back. First of all, I'd like to thank Dr Webber for stepping up in my absence." There's another round of applause for the man who never would have given up his Chief status if it hadn't been pried out of his hands by Shepherd. "I'm grateful for all of you, for all of your support during my recovery. Thank you. It's just so great to be back as chief. I'm grateful for the, uh..." he trails off, staring down at the C.T scans in his hands.

"I'm sorry, that's a lie," he finally says when he can force his gaze away from the brain scans. "That's what people say and, uh, the truth is I hate being Chief. I hate it. Chief Webber is our Chief. And I'm sorry but this giant– sorry, I gotta go look at this chordoma. I'm sorry, but, uh, I quit."