ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ғɪᴠᴇ; ʟᴜᴄɪᴅᴀ

lucida 

(noun

the brightest star in a constellation 

THERE IS something about weddings that Everett has always loved. It goes past religious ceremonies stuck in stuffy churches listening to a priest ramble on about God's love uniting a couple. It goes beyond beautiful dresses, and expensive bouquets, and rows upon rows of food laid out neatly for every guest to sample. For her, sitting there in the audience, hands folded neatly on her lap, it's a moment to review the love set clearly in front of you. When the couple joins hands and looks into each other's eyes, she can take that moment, point it out to her date and say 'look at that, look at their love'. Most girls dream of engraved rings and vintage veils, but all she has ever wanted, all she has ever planned in terms of the perfect wedding is for her to be standing next to someone who loves her enough to spend the rest of their lives together.

She wonders if that's just wishful thinking.

A hand snakes over her exposed thigh, fingers hot against her cold skin. She'd thought a velvet dress would be okay for the perfect Winter Wedding, but this room is chillier than the air outside, and her champagne coloured dress has a slit that runs up to the very top of her thigh and a neckline that plunges steeper than that goddamn aeroplane did. Alex's fingers squeeze to get her attention.

"I thought you'd be more excited," he whispers, breath curving over the skin of her ear. Jackson, sitting with Stephanie Edwards in front of them, rolls his eyes at the sight of them, much more annoyed that he has to sit here with an intern he doesn't care about just because April thought it'd be a good idea for them to 'stay apart'.

"I am." Everett glances around. Ben Warren had apparently planned the whole thing, from the bright-coloured lights covering the fir trees surrounding the room to the snow coloured wooden chairs they're all currently sitting on, waiting for the bride to come walking down the aisle. They've been waiting a while. "Just wondering when this is gonna start."

Alex checks his watch and frowns. "Yeah, c'mon, Bailey used to have a go at me for being late and she doesn't even show up to her own wedding on time." He's grumpy, that's for sure. She'd always assumed he was never really a wedding guy, even when they were forced to attend Hunt and Cristina's wedding, he'd stood in the corner with a bottle of beer and dragged himself out of the room as soon as it was socially acceptable to. Even at Callie and Arizona's wedding, the only time he really looked like he was enjoying himself was when Everett let him lead her to the dance floor despite the fact she'd promised herself not to get swept up by his good looks and perfect suit.