ғᴏʀᴛʏ ғɪᴠᴇ; ʏᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ

yearning 

(noun

a feeling of intense longing for someone or something 

WEEKS CAN pass by in the hospital without anybody noticing. Everything becomes a blur and, suddenly, it's like a scene from some Hollywood movie starring Reese Witherspoon. It's just her walking down the same hospital corridor in the same blue scrubs, but the people around her are walking so fast they're blurred, and you can tell it isn't always the same people, but she's walking slowly, and her hair is getting longer and her coffee cup sometimes gets swapped out for her stethoscope. And when you're a surgeon watching one of these movies, you laugh, because it never feels like that, not when the people you're supposed to save are the ones dying beneath your hands.

Except, for the past couple of weeks, that's all it has felt like.

With April's wedding slowly – fastly, actually, that's the whole point of this – approaching, Alex's dad ending up in hospital, and Meredith and Cristina ending up on opposite ends of the battlefield over some 3-D printer, it's hard not to feel like you're being swept off of your feet. Everett just knows she doesn't look half as good as Reese Witherspoon would.

She swats at April's hand as she reaches to change the radio station.

"I don't care if you're getting married today or not, I refuse to listen to any weird country music."

"Hey!" April pouts, glaring at Everett in the mirror. Her makeup is only half done, but her red hair sits perfectly after the insane amount of hairspray they've had to use just to be sure that it doesn't all fall out as soon as the dancing starts. "Country music isn't weird–" She pauses so that Everett can swipe some mascara onto her eyelashes. "Okay, well, not all of it."

Everett muses it over. "I like the ones where women kill their husbands."

"There is a lot of that."

April's voice is a few octaves higher than normal, which is a feat, given that her voice is usually a decibel or two hundred above the range of human hearing. It's the first time her wedding jitters have shown themselves to her Maid of Honour, surprisingly having stayed calm throughout this whole event, even when they had to make a quick detour this morning to get two out of four of the bridesmaids to actually try on their coral-coloured dresses.

She's not entirely sure what she's supposed to say to her. The last time she was Maid of Honour, she had to convince one of the brides to even make it to the venue since her own family wasn't going to bother to show their support. This time, it seems like all the support is a bit too much, which is why Everett has been alone with the bride for hours when she was supposed to have an entire flock of redheaded family members helping out with the getting-ready portion of the big day.