ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ; ʜᴏᴍᴇᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ

homecoming 

(noun

an instance of returning home 

BONES CRACK and Everett Ramos grins. She can feel the tension beneath her hand, the rough skin working beneath her fingers as she tries to talk her patient through her course of action, however, halfways through her sentence, she rotates her hands and smirks as the crunch that comes from the hidden bones. The fifty-year-old man stares at her as if she's just pulled his leg off. She grins back at him.

"See. Easy as pie. One of the nurses will take you to the casting room and send in the technician to get a cast on you. He'll show you all the colours you can get."

 The man just stares at her, face pale, eyes wide. Everett is really trying not to laugh now. This is why she loves the thrill of the emergency room, the rush that runs through her head, the quickness with which she has to move. It's so much easier than trudging through the surgical ward expecting sick patients to suddenly no longer feel so sick.

 "Last time I had a cast, I got purple. But, I think they have blue too, if you want. Frankie!" The nurse waddles over, x-rays stacked under one arm for the orthopedic Fellow who has been left to roam on her own until her Attending comes to check on her. She takes the x-rays. "Perfect. Can you take Mr Meikle to get his cast please?"

Frankie rolls her eyes but does as she's asked. She's never been the happiest of nurse's, but she likes Everett enough to not argue back. In moments, Mr Meikle is getting rolled away, still in shock that all his surgeon had done was check his x-rays and fix his bones back into place. He thought he'd be here for hours.

The snapshot of his face is still imprinted in her mind when she finds the pediatrics fellow waiting for her by the emergency room computers, trying to find the online file for one of his patients.

"So," she sings, swinging around to lean against the wall. Alex glances at her only briefly, but his lips flicker up into a smile anyway to show her that he's listening. "Have you noticed that Jackson and April have been acting weird since she got back?"

"You already told me they boned." Everett rolls her eyes at his childish language but refuses to comment on it. "And anyway, it's obvious they still are."

"But she's revirginizing." 

"Not very well."

They laugh together, hardly able to meet each other's eye in the middle of the E.R, thinking about April's plans to bring Jesus back into her life by returning to the woman she used to be. All those plans went down the drain the moment she and Jackson were left alone in a supply cupboard, and the apartment, and the Attendings lounge. Everett can't wait to move out, to get away from April's complaining about Jackson's gorgeous eyes, or sexy face, or whatever it is she's thinking about all the time. She just needs to find a place first.