ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ sᴇᴠᴇɴ; ᴇxᴇᴍᴘʟᴀʀʏ

exemplary 

(adjective

serving as an example, instance or illustration

SOME PEOPLE aren't made to be in front of the camera, that's obvious. Most people don't have the natural poise to be a model, the grace that arches their backs or the ability to use their eyes to smile, but most people can stand in front of a camera and pretend that that is where they belong. Alex Karev, it seems, can not.

He pulls his lips apart in resemblance of a smile, but it comes off more like a grimace, shoulders drawn too tight, eyebrows quivering slightly. Everett, sitting on the table in the conference room that has become a makeshift photography lab, is trying to stifle her laughter behind her hand, watching Alex become progressively more annoyed with the cameras.

Alex is the type of man who doesn't like change much. Whenever his girlfriend brings up changing their curtains, or maybe painting the walls a nicer colour, he goes off on a tangent about oncology and normal cells changing into malignant ones. She usually drops the subject then, knowing that he'll just get grumpier, but she sort of likes it when he starts to rant, when he talks about how change isn't always good. It's the sort of thing that creeps up on you, grabs you by the shoulders and plunges you head first into the deep end of the swimming pool.

With the hospital on track to being bought over by some company called Pegasus, it is clear to Everett that he's not going to take this change very well. He hated the merger the most out of all of them. The hospital being steered in a completely different direction, by money-grabbers who only care about one thing and that is not their patients' wellbeing, is absolutely going to freak him out and there's nothing they can do about it. Not now that the hospital is being forced to pay for the plane crash.

"Um. Now, let's try a few where you're actually smiling," orders Alana Cahill, the physician advisor brought in to avoid bankruptcy. Alex does try, but his fake smile starts to fall as the camera keeps flashing in his face and he lets out a long sigh.

"Look, I don't even want to be the hospital mascot, whatever you do–"

"Brand ambassador," Cahill is quick to correct, sounding more annoyed that Alex is not taking well to being in front of the camera. She definitely does not like Everett's tittering laughter at the back of the room, legs swinging back and forth, serving as a distraction for the man in front of the camera. "And you haven't been appointed yet. You're just a very strong contender."

"'Cause you're hot!" Alex's face flushes at Everett's words and he can't stop the grin that brightens up his features. The cameraman flashes a picture before anything can change, capturing the perfect moment when Alex Karev is taken aback by his beautiful girlfriend currently chugging down her third coffee of the day.