Chapter Sixteen

I adopted this plot bunny a year or so ago. It really intrigued me. I posted a poll in my group asking which story I should work on next, and this was the winner. It's definitely a WIP. I've only got a rough outline figured out and I'm going back to my roots with this ... writing with a vague plan. I hope that I can do this justice.

None of this is mine ... I wish it was. Sigh ...

Up next will be a flashback ... which will come with a trigger warning ... Bella's return to San Francisco, finding a therapist and some drama.

**Trigger Warning**

Chapter Sixteen

Bella

Flashback

"Dad, I don't understand why you are so insistent about me going out on dates," I argued, huffing on the couch while I waited for Jacob to come pick me up. He was taking me to a bonfire on the beach at La Push. "I should be here, taking care of you."

"I'm fine, Bella," Dad said "I have my cell phone and I have a night nurse coming over to check on me. Leave the door unlocked, sweet girl."

"Why should you pay for a night nurse when I can take care of you for free, Dad," I huffed. "I'm staying. I'll call Jake and ..."

There was a knock on the door. My dad, despite his body being ravaged by cancer and its treatment, he got up with a bright smile and ambled to the door. "Jacob! It's so good to see you, son! How's your dad?"

"He's good, Charlie," Jacob answered, shaking my father's hand. "He's going to try and visit you soon."

"I hope so," Dad nodded, his energy waning. He gripped Jacob's arm, but Jake shook him off. I ran up to my father, giving Jacob a scowl as I helped him my dad to his recliner, which had become his bed since he could not climb the stairs to his bedroom anymore. He also refused to get a hospital gurney set up in the living room, claiming his recliner was comfortable. "Thanks, Bella. You have fun with Jake."

"I'll be home in a couple of hours," I said, kissing my father's gaunt cheek. "You have my cell phone number, right?"

"I have cancer, Bells. I'm not stupid," Dad snorted. "I still have my mind. The cancer hasn't spread to my brain."

"Daddy," I growled. "Not. Funny." I hugged him tightly. "I love you, Dad. I can stay."

"No, have fun. Your senior year has been awful. You deserve to have some fun," Dad said, brushing my hair back. "Treat my girl good, Jacob." I walked to the door, grabbing my jacket.

"Always, Charlie," Jacob responded, giving him a smirk. "Come on, Bella." He took my hand once I had my jacket on. He pulled me out of my house. "I know your dad is sick, but have some fun with me tonight. Drink some beer. Have a joint."

"No, I have to stay clear-headed, Jacob," I sighed, getting into the passenger seat of his decrepit VW Rabbit. "When I get home, I have to make sure that I'm able to hear my dad if he falls or something. His balance is not there and he gets confused."

Jacob rolled his eyes, backing out of the driveway. "Bella, I know your dad is sick, but you're still a kid. Cut back ... hell, let's explore what's brewing between us."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, arching a brow at Jacob. "We're friends, Jacob. We went to homecoming, but ..."

"Come on, Bella. I can see you checking me out," Jacob smirked, his expression dark, predatory. He licked his lips. I shuddered, not wanting him to touch me. "You want me."