Chapter Eight

I adopted this plot bunny a year or so ago. It really intrigued me. I posted a poll in my group asking which story I should work on next and this was the winner. It's definitely a WIP. I've only got a rough outline figured out and I'm going back to my roots with this ... writing with a vague plan. I hope that I can do this justice.

None of this is mine ... I wish it was. Sigh ...

Up next will be some flirty banter with Edward and Bella, signing of the contract and some drama with Alice and Edward. When will she learn?

Chapter Eight

Bella

"I've got good news for you," Jason Jenks said as he walked into my office in the publishing house, wriggling a manila folder with a wide grin. "I got you a lot more money for contract." He sat down, handing me the manila folder.

"You spoke with the new executive?" I asked, opening it up. I scanned the paperwork and gasped. "Holy crap! This is twice what was originally offered. How did you swing that?"

"I'm the shit," Jason smirked. "I also think that the director finagled more money for you. At least, that's what Paul said when I negotiated on your behalf."

"Edward did?" I breathed.

"Yeah. I also found out why Laurent passed this along to a new executive. When I spoke to Paul, he said that Laurent was diagnosed with cancer and it doesn't look good, hence Paul's involvement in the project and Edward Cullen's name coming into play," Jason explained.

"Will Laurent be okay?" I asked.

"The new executive didn't have that information, but Paul said he's looking forward to work with you," Jason said, giving me a sympathetic grin.

"I should send Laurent some flowers or something. Cancer sucks ... it really fucking sucks," I breathed, rubbing my chest. Hearing that about Laurent made my heart hurt and brought back unpleasant memories of my father along with his death, thanks to fucking cancer. "Maybe I'll reach out to this new executive to get an update about Laurent ..."

"I'm sorry about Laurent. I can do some digging, verifying his illness. Do you want me to do that?" he asked.

"No, thank you. I can do some digging," I replied, shrugging a shoulder.

"Let me know if you want me to check into the new executive. But, I have to know about the contract. What's your reply? Are you going to sign this?" Jason asked, pointing to contract.

I picked up a pen from my desk, signing on the dotted line and pushing it back to Jenks. "I am." I got up, making a copy of the contract, scanning it to my computer. With a flourish, I opened a new email, attaching the contract and sent it to Summit Studios. "Thank you so much, Jason, for your help."

"It was my pleasure, Bella," Jason grinned. "Just make sure you get me tickets to the premier. I've got to support my clients." He leaned against the door frame. "I'll send you my bill for services rendered."

"Got it, Jason," I chuckled. "I'll make sure to pay you once I get that invoice."

"Now, I'll let you get back to work. Are you going to start on the screenplay?" he asked.

"I need to finish up edits for my most recent novel," I replied. "I'm about done."

"Best of luck," Jason said, pushing away from door frame and left me to my work.

I turned back to my laptop, double checking that my email with the signed contract went through to this new guy, Paul Lahote. Making mental note to research Paul Lahote and his position with the movie studio. His name sounded familiar, but I wasn't sure if it was my memory or fear of my past. I also sent Edward a brief message, thanking him for his help with the contract.