Chapter Six

I adopted this plot bunny a year or so ago. It really intrigued me. I posted a poll in my group asking which story I should work on next, and this was the winner. It's definitely a WIP. I've only got a rough outline figured out and I'm going back to my roots with this ... writing with a vague plan. I hope that I can do this justice.

None of this is mine ... I wish it was. Sigh ...

With this next chapter, I have a vague idea of a plan. So, we'll see where this chapter goes. The one thing I know for sure is that Jasper and Bella are returning to San Francisco.

Chapter Six

Bella

When I woke up, the feelings I had were twisted, coiled. In the harsh light of day, the giddiness and feelings of safety, protection had dissipated. I was swept up in the entire previous day, in Edward. When I went through the motions of packing for my return to San Francisco, my underlying insecurities came rushing to the surface.

I had no right to feel happy.

I definitely had no right to lead Edward on.

I was damaged goods. I was irrevocably broken from my past.

"Knock, knock," Jasper said, poking his head into my room. "How was your tour of Los Angeles with Edward?" He must have noticed my jerky movements as I was packing my bags. "Hey, sweet girl, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I mumbled. I closed my suitcase and fumbled with the zipper.

Jasper's hand found mine and easily closed my bag. "No, you're not. You're trembling and you look like you're about to cry. Talk to me, Bells," he whispered, sitting down on the bed. "Did Edward hurt you? I may like the guy and think he's a brilliant director, but I will not hesitate to kick his ass if he did something to hurt you."

"No, Jasper. He was a perfect gentleman," I whispered. "He was so kind and funny and generous. I had an amazing time with him. Probably the best time I've had ever ..."

"Then, why are you freaking out?" Jasper asked.

"Because I don't deserve it," I replied.

"What the hell? You deserve a good guy, Bella. You deserve to be happy!" Jasper argued. "I know you play your emotions close to the chest. I see you smile, but it never reaches your eyes. The only time I see you truly relaxed and happy is when you're with Seth. Why?"

"Because Seth is my sole purpose for living," I said. "I lost sight of that while I was out with Edward. It was a fun day, but it can't happen again." I shook my head. As much I wanted to feel more with Edward, I couldn't. I did not deserve that happiness. It was my penance. "Are we ready to go?"

"Bella, I don't believe that you don't deserve happiness," Jasper sighed. "You're the physical embodiment of goodness."

"Believe what you want, I know the truth," I spat. I rubbed my chest, trying to sooth the emptiness building behind it. I moved my hand up to the necklace, knowing I probably should take it off. I just couldn't. It would be the lone reminder of the brief glimpse of joy I allowed myself to have. "We don't want to miss our flight, Jasper."

He shook his head, standing up and trudging to his room. "I don't understand you, Bells. Why are you shutting yourself away from Edward? He clearly has the hots for you," he muttered.

"He may have the hots for me, it's not something I can act on. Anyway, I'm worn-out. I miss my kid and I want to get back to my life," I explained tiredly. Jasper nodded, hugging me and ducking back into his room. Ten minutes later, we were riding down to the lobby. Liam was already there and he drove us to LAX. The car ride was quiet, but unlike the trip yesterday with Edward, it was tension-filled.