P3 - Chapter #16: Forgiveness

"H-Huh?- What the-" Kaine woke up startled when he heard a noise. He turned to his phone on his desk, which was playing an alarm. He let out a chuckle and shot a webline toward it, yanking the phone to his direction.

After turning off the alarm, he yawned, rubbed his sleepy eyes, and blinked a few times. Kaine looked at his window, through which rays of sunlight came through. And a relieved smile formed on his face. After being plagued by nightmares for nearly a week, they did not haunt him anymore. He could sleep uninterrupted. What was even better was that no voice in his mind would influence him anymore.

"Oh no..." the teen's smile faded, replaced by a fearful expression when he remembered about patching things up with his mother. Kaine shoved his phone into one of his shorts' pocket, got out of his bed, and walked toward the bedroom door. Opening it a bit to take a peek, he saw May eating her breakfast.

"It's now or never, Kaine. Now or never..." he took a deep breath as he opened the door widely and exited from his bedroom before closing it.

May turned to her son, her eyes meeting her son's as he approached her. "Morning, Kaine," she greeted.

"Hi, Mom..." Kaine exhaled softly and looked down, trying to encourage himself before looking at his mother again. "Listen uh... I-"

The mother put down her spoon and fork on her plate and got out of her seat, and approached her son. He stepped back in fear, but she simply smiled and nodded, giving him her attention.

He was confused with how she was acting different. "Okay..." Kaine composed himself before continuing, "Mom, I'm sorry. I really should've listened to you... You were right all along, but I didn't listen. It got me into troubles. And it led to me losing dad... I was too blind, jealous, and angry to accept the truth. It's all my fault, Mom..."

He added as his voice started becoming shaky, "And- We... We didn't talk for nearly a week... All because of what I did. I don't know if you will forgive me for being a despicable child... But here I am, wanting to tell you that I accept the truth, even if it's too late... I didn't get a chance to fix things between me and dad. So... Will you let me have one between us, Mom..?"

May's eyes became glassy upon hearing those words. She pulled Kaine to her embrace and patted his back. "Never ever call yourself a despicable child, Candy Cane..."

"Oh, Mom. Come on!" Both giggled as they sobbed.

"Listen... I was hurt and I thought this was the end... I understand but what you did was wrong," she told him. "However, you are brave enough. Brave to admit your wrongdoings. Not everyone can do that and I am so, so proud of you... Ben would have been too... I forgive you, my little Kaine."

May released her son from her embrace, smiled at him, and planted a kiss on his forehead. "Alright, kiddo. Go get some breakfast," she chuckled as she returned to her seat and resumed eating. May turned on the TV and her face lit up when the title card of her favorite superhero movie popped up on screen. It was the Superman movie from 1978.

Kaine picked up his own plate along with a spoon and a fork. Before getting his food, the teen turned around and looked at the dining table. He let out a heavy sigh... Usually, he, May, and Ben would eat together. But now..? It was different...

---

(On the next day...)

"Good to be back, huh?" asked Peter, who was walking beside Kaine as they headed to their lockers while carrying their backpacks.

The older Parker simply smiled at his younger cousin. Seeing the crowded hallway accompanied by indistinct chatters in the morning... To him, it was like his life was back to normal. And of course, classes, especially Math and Science classes. Back to the old, miserable life of every student...

As Kaine and Peter were approaching the lockers, they saw a familiar redhead, which brought warm smiles to their faces. But they noticed a girl with blonde straight hair next to her, who was talking and laughing with the redhead. The two didn't recognize her.

"Okay bye, Anne! Gotta prep for my class," the girl waved at Annabelle.

"Alrighty, Gwennie!"

Before walking away however, Gwen noticed two identical students, who she assumed to be siblings. She waved at them and gave a smile to the brunette teenager with pompadour hairstyle–which was Peter Parker. The twins waved back at her as a response. Gwen then proceeded to walk with her other friends to their lockers.

"A friend of yours?" Peter asked Annabelle curiously.

"Mhm. Her name's Gwen Stacy. We met at the music class I attend." She faced Kaine and let out a sigh, crossing her arms. "Alright, Mr. Ghosting. You better have a good explanation for what you did. No, perhaps something better than you feeling undeserving of us."

"Uhm..." Kaine rubbed the back of his neck, "Yeah... That's the reason... I'm sorry, Anna. Peter told me you got pretty worried."

Anna chuckled and pulled him for a side hug, "K, you could've just let us know you need some time alone. I was afraid something happened to you..."

Her words made the older Parker fluster, his cheeks becoming red. "Uh- Uhm... Wow..." Kaine then smiled and returned the hug to comfort her, "It's alright. I'm alright, Ann... I'm here."

Meanwhile, Peter grinned as he watched the two embracing each other. "These two are definitely lovebirds."

It wasn't until Kaine and Anna released each other from their hold, that they realized Peter Parker was grinning at them like a child.

"Oh goodness, not again..." groaned Kaine, "Don't say it, Pete."

"What?" Anna pondered.

"He's silently shipping us."

Anna and Kaine glared at the younger Parker, who smiled innocently.

"Oh Peter, Peter... What a mistake you've just made." Annabelle looked at Kaine and asked, "Say, K... What punishment do you think he deserves?"

"Oh, I don't know, Red~ Perhaps torture by endless ticking? Till he stops shipping us," Kaine smirked at her.

"I like it~"

"Whoa, whoa. Okay fine, no more shipping," Peter pouted, "Happy?"

The younger Parker's reaction made the two laugh at him. The trio then opened their respective locker and looked at their class schedule. As they were about to gather their books however, a familiar voice called to one of them.

"Hey, Kaine!" It was none other than Flash Thompson. But there was no hint of malice nor hostility in his voice. Kaine, Peter, and Anna turned to Flash with a surprised expression.

Flash put his hands up, "Easy, easy. I have no intention of hurting you all... I feel bad for what I did in the past, guys."

Peter and Anna nodded at the former bully, as a sign of forgiveness.

He then looked at Kaine and rubbed the back of his neck, "Uh, hey... I'm sorry. I really shouldn't have hurt you. Violence really isn't the answer after all..."

Kaine just chuckled, "Yeah, it isn't. I had to learn it the hard way..." He offered his hand, "So... We good now?"

Flash accepted his hand and smirked, "We are good."

"And uh, Kaine? I heard about what happened to your dad... I'm truly sorry for you and your family..." he expressed his condolences for Kaine.

"Thanks, Flash... Thank you..."

The two then noticed the school counselor, who was a few meters apart from them. A satisfied smile formed on her face, with her knowing that they were on good terms. Kaine and Flash nodded in gratitude as a response, silently thanking her.

Life truly had changed for both of them.

---

A/N: He finally patches things up with May, Anna, and Flash. Everything is wrapped up XD I really can't say anymore lol. (And this is the first time Peter and Kaine meets Gwen ;) ) Now, just one more chapter to serve as a conclusion to this fanfic ;)