P3 - Chapter #12: Vengeance Part 1

A/N #1: The beginning of this chapter is set shortly after the end of chapter 1 from part 1. To make sense of the context, please check part 1 and part 2. If you already understand, feel free to continue! There will be mild violence, so proceed with your discretion.

---

(Back to the present day...)

"So, you want to be free?" Kaine's demonic reflection asked him, with an expectant tone, as if he was waiting for a certain answer.

"Y-Yes..." It made a wicked grin form on the demon's face. "Please... Anything. I'll do it just to end this nightmare..." Tears were already trickling down from his glassy red eyes. The look on his face was the look of someone who wanted to give up and surrender control.

"Still remember the man who killed your father? He's still hiding out there somewhere."

Kaine looked at his darker self's reflection on the bathroom mirror, "What do you want me to do with him...?"

"Be the predator. Hunt the prey. Find his whereabouts. And when you find Flint, kill him."

"What? Kill?!" he snapped, "No, I don't kill. No!"

"Do you want this to be over or not, Kaine?" he fired back, causing the teen to question himself and have second thoughts. "He killed your father. He is the reason for your nightmares and you losing a chance to fix things. Yet, you don't want to get rid of the problem." The demon reminded him, "An eye for an eye. He took your father's life, now it's time you take his own."

For a few moments, Kaine looked down, averting his eyes from the mirror. He was at his most desperate. He didn't want to take a life. However at the same time, he would continue to be tormented by his never-ending nightmares. He was cornered... Sighing heavily, he looked up to the mirror and nodded reluctantly. "Fine... If that's what it needs to get rid of this burden..."

The demon smiled, as Kaine's eyes and skin changing into something akin to his: blood red eyes and grey skin.

"From today... We have work to do."

---

(Three days later...; Nighttime...)

"Peter! Dinner time!" Mary called her son from the dining room, while he was still in his room.

"Y-Yeah, Mom! Coming..." Peter still sat on his bed, his eyes on the phone he was holding. He sighed softly, looking at his messaging app, while scrolling through his messages with Kaine. It had been four days since his cousin contacted either him or Anna. His phone then vibrated, receiving a message from Anna.

Pete, any new message from K?

He typed something and sent it.

No...

Why did he ghost us, Peter..?

Maybe he needs some time alone, Ann. He still feels guilty for what happened.

He could've texted one of us... Told us to give him some time.

"Yeah... But he didn't..." he mumbled to himself.

Peter, what if something happens to Kaine? No- What if something already happened to him? I just. Hhh, I want to slap him for ghosting us. But on a serious note... I just- I don't know...

He put up a weak smile, trying to stay optimistic as he typed a reply...

I'll try to visit him tomorrow. To check up on him. Let's hope for the better, okay?