P1 - Chapter #4: Home Sweet Home

"Alright, here we are, Kaine," Richard stopped the car at a drop-off/pick-up site close to his nephew's home.

Kaine still remained bitter after what he had seen. However, he couldn't just show that to Peter and his parents. So he put up a smile as politely as possible, thanking everyone, before opening the passenger door and headed out with his school backpack. As he was about to close the door, his eyes met with Peter's for a moment. The older brunet was caught off-guard with his cousin's sympathetic and knowing look. His smile faded out, replaced with an inaudible sigh. He immediately looked away and closed the door.

The younger Parker moved his eyes to his passenger window and rested his head against it, looking out as his father started the car and began driving home, which was just a few blocks away. The teenager stared out blankly, while thinking of the bitter look he had seen from Kaine. That bitterness wasn't new... There were pain and anger from the past decade. Pain and anger he had known for a long, long time. And he remembered the moments when his cousin would cry and open up to him about his problems... Peter closed his eyes, deep down feeling sorry for Kaine. But he couldn't change anything about that.

Meanwhile, the buzzcut teenager walked into the lobby of the five-story apartment before him: his home. He pressed the "Up" elevator button and its doors slid open, revealing an empty, reflective, and monotonous room. He stepped inside and pressed the "4" button, closing the elevator doors and it began to move up. The teen let out a yawn, at least he was finally home.

Minutes later, the elevator opened and Kaine stepped out. There was a hall in front of him, with some of his neighbours going in and some out, minding their own business. He suddenly felt nervous, dreading that he might be asked by a neighbour that he didn't even know. The brunet put on his hoodie and walked fast to his suite, hoping that anyone would just ignore him. Luckily, he made it inside and no one asked him on the way.

"Mom, I'm home."

There was no reply.

The teenager walked to the dining room and found his mother sleeping while sitting on the dining chair and her head resting on the table, and holding her phone. Her face was slightly covered by strands of her brunette hair, with some were greying. He could hear her mumbling something but he couldn't make out some of the words.

"Supplies... Should... get more... supplies..."

He frowned his eyes, not understanding what she was talking about. The young man carefully put his hand on her shoulder and tapped gently, "Mom..? Wake up, Mom."

The woman, who was in her early 40s, slowly opened her eyes and yawned. The weariness reflected on her eyes, made her son concerned. She was confused for a second, then realization hit her that she had fallen asleep. The mother, May Parker, turned her eyes to Kaine and smiled, "Hey, Candy Cane. How was school?"

That nickname made him lose it, unable to giggle controllably. "Really, Mom? That nickname was like when I was a small boy."

The two laughed together.

"Well, school was fine," he replied while regaining himself after laughing, "What was that about, Mom? You were mumbling about getting supplies?"

She paused for a moment, "It... There is a problem in the homeless shelter I work at. The supplies are running low, so I had to talk with some people to get more supplies. But... I fell asleep."

Kaine sighed and squeezed her shoulder gently, "Mom, you need rest. Don't overwork yourself."

"I can't, little candy... There are things I have to manage. And we know that your father is outside of town, still handling stuff and employees. We need to keep working just so we can make a living."