P2A - Chapter #5: The Bite

(The next day...)

It was a bright day and two Midtown High school buses were headed to an Oscorp lab. Inside one of the buses, the students were either chatting about whatever was trending at that moment, playing games on their smartphones, or sleeping just to pass the time. While the homeroom teacher and the Biology teacher were sitting on the front row seats, talking about their daily lives and getting to know each other.

But the same couldn't be said for Kaine and his friends. He was resting his head against the window with his hoodie on, looking outside blankly and remained silent. Beside him was Annabelle, wondering why he acted differently. It had been a month since they became friends, but this felt like something she hadn't known yet.

She turned to Peter, who was sitting alone near the window on the opposite row, with a defeated look. "Psst! Pete!" she called out to him with a whisper, gaining his attention.

Peter looked confused as Anna took out her phone and typed something, then motioned at his pocket to check his phone, which he did.

Pete, I've never seen him being... so quiet like this... What's wrong with Kaine?

He proceeded to type something as a reply.

Kaine has a problem... Well, I guess something that you already know.

I think I know what you mean.

Yeah. It's been for a long time... I tried to talk with him about it yesterday, to help him, but he refused. There's not a lot I can do...

The two teenagers glanced at each other. The girl pitied the younger Parker and looked at him sympathetically. Peter gave her a weak smile and closed in a bit, "I'm used to this. I just hope things get better for coz."

"I hope so," Anna said, "I'll try to help him too."

Peter's smile widened, like his spirit was lifted up. He was glad that Anna was in Kaine's life. A thought passed in his mind that made an infectious chuckle escape from his mouth, making Anna question him.

"What?" she asked, unable to hold back her laughter.

"Nothing, nothing," Peter covered his mouth from cracking a laughter. Nonetheless, he ended letting out a muffled laugh.

"These two are definitely lovebirds," he silently snorted.

Annabelle rolled her eyes, still laughing.

Meanwhile, Kaine was hiding his laugh, thanks to the camaraderie between his friends. At the same time, he was smiling too, knowing how caring they were for him. Especially his cousin.

---

(An hour and a half later...)

Outside of Oscorp's lab building, the two buses had stopped, with students from two classes, wearing their school backpacks, being rounded up by their respective homeroom teachers and the Biology teacher.

"Whoa..." Peter was quick to fall in awe as the sight of the nine-story cubical building was reflected on his eyes. He admired its plain and simple look, yet hiding secrets behind the ordinary design. His eyes lingered, wanting to know the wonders of science inside.

"Hey, Pete! The tour guide is here," Kaine's words brought Peter back to reality.

"Wh-Wha?"

Behind Peter and Kaine, Anna was covering her mouth, snorting. This prompted the younger Parker to glance over his shoulder and gave her a sheepish smile.