P2B - Chapter #9: Downfall Part 2

(Next afternoon...)

"Is violence really the answer?"

That question from yesterday echoed many times within Kaine's mind while the teen in his jacket looked at the ceiling of his bedroom blankly as he rested on his bed. Not only that, the terrified look painted on Flash's face... He remembered it clearly, despite being slightly controlled by his other self. Besides Flash, Peter and Anna too. No words came out of his mouth. Only his thoughts running in his mind.

"Was it... worth it?" he asked himself aloud.

"Really? You're asking it's worth it? Of course it is!" the demonic voice in his head answered, "That son of a bitch is now afraid. He won't hurt us again."

"I almost killed him!"

"Why do you even care about his life? The only thing that matters is him disappearing permanently."

"No. He..." he recalled the moment of realization in the counseling room, "He's no different than me..."

The voice groaned, "You've got to be kidding me. Next time, it will be different."

"Shut up."

There was knocking coming from outside of his room. "Kaine? Can I come in?"

The teen turned to the door and had a twinge of guilt after what he had done. Like there was a burden inside his heart. He sat up on his bed and responded, "Sure, Mom..."

May opened the door slowly, looking at her son with sadness. She closed the door, walked to her Kaine's bed, and sat on its side. "The school told me about what happened. Why did you do it..? You could've gotten expelled, you know that right..?"

He averted his eyes, not willing to look at her in the eyes. "I... I thought I had to give him a taste of his own medicine. He kept bothering me and my friends, Mom. So, an eye for an eye."

She sighed, "Honey, can you please look at me?"

Kaine hesitated for some moments, but he did end up looking at May, though he wanted not to look her in the eyes out of shame. His eyes were glassy. "I'm sorry, Mom... I just hate people like him. I've had enough and I want to get rid of them permanently..."

May closed in and pulled him to her embrace. "There, there... Kaine, people like him exist. But sometimes, "getting rid of someone" isn't the solution. We can only hope that he change for the better."

"He's no different than me..."

"Hm?"

"Flash Thompson. The guy who bullied me. He was abused by his father. He thought it was unfair that other people's lives seemed better than him... I realized that in a way, we're similar."

"Poor kid... Hopefully, things get better for him..."

May released Kaine from her hug and kissed him on the forehead, causing him to smile slightly. "Well, gotta heat up the leftovers for later. Your dad's coming back soon." She then got up and exited his room.

That smile quickly disappeared. "Great, dad's returning..." he muttered to himself, disdain and disgust could be heard in his voice.

It earned a response from the voice inside his head in form of a malicious laugh. Kaine frowned his eyes, unable to point his finger on why his darker self was laughing. One thing for sure... was that something bad would come.

---

(A few hours later...)

"Hellooo! Guess who's back home?" a man with greying hair in his 40s entered the apartment suite with a backpack and a few bags.