Day 15: Queuing For Concerts Is The Real Fun Part

I want a bad girl, baby, bad,

                                                      I want a love that’s crazy, yeah.

Start Destination: Copenhagen, Denmark

End Destination: Copenhagen, Denmark

Via: The Forum

10:43AM (GMT) / 11:43AM (Local Time)

After getting up very late, the four of us are still blurry eyed as we sit in the small hostel room. Curled up under duvets on top of the bottom bunk beds.

We had a late breakfast, Rosie somehow managing to cobble together some decent sausages and eggs to make us a small fry-up. She is the only one with any talent in the kitchen and so the rest of us sat, half asleep, and waited.

Now though we are all huddled in our room. Too tired to go outside – the lack of sleep finally seems to be catching up to us – and too aware of our lack of funds to be able to afford much entertainment. Instead Elise has pulled out an old crossword book and as a group we are trying to do as many as possible. Luckily, we are starting at the easy end.

“A baked good often served with jam and cream,” Elise reads out from the book.

She is sat on a chair in the centre of the room, swathed in blankets, her head only just sticking out. Her long legs are hooked over the arm and she is positioned sideways, having to crane her neck to look at us.

“Scone,” I say simply.

“How the hell did you just pronounce that?” Levi asks accusingly.

“Scone,” I repeat.”

“It’s scone,” he tells me.

While I pronounce it to rhyme with stone, Levi chooses to say scon; it almost hurts my ears to hear him say it.

“I’m definitely right,” I say.

“Sure you are.”

“I am, hey El, how do you pronounce it?”

“Scone,” she tells me.

It is the same as the way I pronounce it and I revel in my success. That is until Levi decides to ask his sister.

“It’s scone,” Rosie says, agreeing with him.

“There you go,” El says trying to settle the argument, “it’s both.”

However Levi and I are not content with this decision and continue to bicker about it until eventually I rush over to the desk – leaving Levi looking confused – and pull out the massive dictionary that seems to be provided in every room. Usually it’s a bible, but, you know, a dictionary works too.

Running my finger along the page I praise my English teacher for making me learn to read phonetics.

“There,” I say pointing, “that says it’s pronounced scone.”

“That looks like a lot of gibberish to me.”

“You should be able to read it perfectly then,” Rosie says dryly.

I beckon her over, she was in my English class too and therefore should be able to read it too, and she can show Levi the truth. 

“Sorry Levi,” she tells him, “but she’s right, it sounds so wrong, but she’s right.”