Day 23: A Fear of Flying Is Not A Laughing Matter

We can be like them,

C'mon baby don't fear the reaper

Start Destination: Oslo, Norway

End Destination: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Via: Oslo Airport, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

8:13AM (GMT) / 9:13AM (Local Time)

We are already at the airport ready for our flight and despite it only being a day since Levi and I talked about our break up, I can already start to see the difference. The tension between us is no longer noticeable and rather than strained silences and awkward conversations the car to the airport was buzzing with laughter and chatter.

It is not as if every puzzle piece of a possible friendship between the four of us has suddenly clicked into place - Rosie and Levi were still keen to bicker over every little thing this morning - it is more as if dealing with the petty arguments is easier, possibly because I feel like I'm less like to rock the boat to the point where we're capsizing.

Levi and Rosie are now stood in front of the arrivals board arguing over which gate we're supposed to be at.

"That's our flight there," Levi says sounding exasperated, "it's going to Amsterdam."

"Yeah," Rosie agrees, "but that's not the company we're flying with dumbass."

"Don't call me a dumbass."

"Why, is it too long a word for your stupid word to process?"

"I hate you."

"Hate you too, but due to genetics we're stuck with each other so we might as well make the most of it."

Levi looks down at his sister condescendingly at first but her smile proves to be infectious and soon the two of them are giggling between themselves rather than finding out where we're supposed to be and so Elise goes to take matters into her own hands, leaving me standing alone with a mountain of bags without a second thought.

"You looking forward to the flight?" Levi asks me as he and his sister returns.

My hand clenches tighter on my bag strap and some expression must cross my face as Levi quickly apologises.

"Shit sorry," he says, "forgot you were afraid of flying."

"It's fine," I tell him.

After all it is not his fault that my pulse starts beating erratically at just the thought of a plane, being up in the air itself is a completely different problem but not one that is solved any more easily.

"Why are you so scared?" Levi asks me after a little while.

"Oh I don't know," I say sarcastically, "it has nothing to do that we'll be travelling in a hunk of metal god knows how high up that could easily send us plummeting to our death at any minute."

"Don't get too excited," Levi teases.

I try to smile but it no doubt comes across as more of a grimace, I know Levi is joking but making fun of my fear is not making me feel much better.

"Sorry," Levi apologises once again, "but you'll be fine, the chances of that happening are insanely slim."

"But there's still a chance it will happen," I point out.

Levi sighs, closes his eyes and pinches his brow. But when he reopens his eyes he studies the worry lining my face and gingerly wraps an arm around me. We may have agreed to be friends, but physical contact still seems to be slightly taboo as if we for some reason do not trust ourselves around each other.