35| THE QUESTIONABLE FUTURE

JJ laid next to Bali, his eyes set on hers while she stared back

JJ laid next to Bali, his eyes set on hers while she stared back. Her fingers wrote her name on the back of his hand, not saying anything but at the same time saying a lot. They both had a pretty shitty night, neither of them really wanted to talk about it, but wanted to be together.

"Thanks, Bal." JJ whispered over at her, the warm light illuminating them in the slightest but not as much as the big light would. She had a candle lit, lavender to help ease their stress, "For helping John B."

"He's my friend." she whispered back, blinking as her eyelashes fluttered slightly, "I wish I did it sooner."

JJ wished the same deep down but didn't say anything. Because he tried to put himself in her shoes, and he'd probably try to do the same if it was Sarah in jail and he had to turn in his ex best friend. But in the end, she still did it, she still choose them instead of Rafe. And now John B was being let out, and without her that wouldn't have happened. JJ kissed her hand, "I'm sorry for being mean."

"You weren't mean." she shook her head, though he kinda was, "You were under a lot of stress, I don't blame you for it."

JJ scooted her closer, pulling one of her curls just to see it bounce, "Why are you with me?"

"Excuse me?" she asked, almost offended.

"When I end up in jail you're just gonna be sad. Your parents were right, this is all a bad idea." he spoke out of his head, sitting up.

Bali followed with a look of disbelief, "You aren't breaking up with me."

"Think about the long run, Bal. I know how my future is gonna go. I don't wanna drag you down with me." saying it out loud really hurt him. Because before tonight, he kinda thought the future would be okay. In their beach house, with her, maybe get a fish and he'd go to all her book signings. But now, now he realized that was a ridiculous dream and reality was just around the corner.

"I have thought about the long run." Bali said back with a shake of her head, "What are you- what is this talk about jail? You aren't in jail, JJ. Is this just a excuse? You wanna break up?"

She stood up out of the bed as he stayed seated, letting her feel taller and above him.

"Are you crazy? No!" he defended himself quickly. Dante hadn't came home that night so their voices rose each time, "I don't want us to just break up, its just better to get it out of the way now before I gotta leave you and do time."

"You aren't doing time!" she had to yell with a crazy look across her face, "What are you even talking about? Like, what the hell is this? You aren't breaking up with me."

"Bal-" he began, getting cut off immediately.

"No, shut up, right now." Bali snapped after him, holding her finger out as he shut his mouth, "JJ, I swear to god, if you don't drop this, i'm gonna go crazy. We aren't breaking up because you think you're bad for me, or because you're gonna end up in jail. Screw that, okay? You're not going to jail, i'm not gonna let you."