Chapter V

The doorbell rang a couple of times while people came in. Mostly, it was Kimara's friends I did not recognize all multicultural and all, and finally, L'taija and Deionte came.

"Hey girl!" L'taija said hugging me.

Deionte was still the little cute self he was but looked older. His hair was cut nice, and his eyes were still a light brown. He also had a diamond stud in one ear and had dark jeans and a dark-red shirt. He was pretty fly today too, with those gray-black Jordans.

"Hey Cuz," Deionte said with a deep voice. No wonder Aubrey likes him. He calls me "cuz" since we're both kinda like cousins since I knew him when I was a baby.

"Hey man," I say while giving him a hug.

"Where's...."

Aubrey already walked in. Finally, that little snob got out of her room. She looked like she cleaned up well too. She was about to ask me something until she saw Deionte.

They had a stare. With silence. The longest stare. My legs started to feel like noodles from standing so long. Before I could say something, Aubrey looked at the ground and walked past him.

What the hell was that?

My mouth was still hanging open, and Deionte excused himself to go to the bathroom.

"At least they looked at each other."

L'taija smirked.

Huh?

"What is that suppose to mean?" I asked confused.

"You don't know?"

I shook my head.

"Girl they be dating."

"Say WHAAAAT!?"

"Yeeeeaaaah, just something slight. They like each other but they don't be chit-chattin' or communicating. They just text each other. Deionte even told me," her voice got into a whisper. "They haven't even lip-locked. Not even once."

L'taija nodded her head. "Eventually, Deionte is gonna get tired of this shit. Tell Aubrey to straighten up."

I look at L'taija, "No, you tell your bro to straighten up. He wanted to get into this crap, he betta work it out."

L'taija sucked her teeth at me, and I rolled my diva head at her.

"You know I can hear y'all." Deionte says walkin' in.

"Now why haven't you been talking to Aubrey?" I asked.

He looked at his Jordans. "Cause she don't want me."

I sat down, "How do you know?"

"She never bothers to talk to me in school, but she talks about us datin' and crap to everyone else. i don't want that."

I sighed and thought for a bit. Since I was an awesome sister, I decided to fix this problem up real good. "I'll right back," I say.

I head out on the porch and catch Aubrey putting on the stilettos listening to music in the night sky. She was singing, "Love" by Keyshia Cole.

I bumped my butt on her several times until she moved over and lets me sit. Aubrey was an amazing singer. She's lucky she got that gift.

She took one earbud out.

"What?" she snapped.

"Why don't you...."

"I don't wanna talk about it." she interrupted.

"Really? I'm serious, tell me now, or I'll bring him out here."

"Okay okay, we haven't been talkin' lately."