Let The Rivalry Be Shortlived. Favour Sleep. Not Payback.

"I need to go back. I'm not supposed to be out right now and I'll be in big trouble if they found out I left," you explained, standing from your seat.

The six of you had sat for a while, just relishing in each other's presence, but as the clock struck witching hour, you snapped back into reality and your ignorant bliss was taken away.

That was the last conversation you exchanged with them for another couple of days until your parents had finally deemed it safe for you to go back to school.

It felt freeing to place your hand on that splintered door that led to your math class. You took in a deep breath of relief as you comfortably pressed yourself into your seat, smiling at the sight of the board at the front.

You felt yourself becoming even more giddy when HueningKai stepped into the room, greeting you with his signature nod of acknowledgement, along with a small tug at the corner of his lips as he wearily glanced at his other classmates who peered at you with confusion, not even attempting to hide their curious glances.

  Plopped down in his desk and kept his head down, pulling out his books and pencils. Once he had them placed on his desk, he kept his head down, not daring to even spare you a glance.

It felt a little underwhelming. Was he ignoring you? Was he even excited to see you at all? From the way he'd reacted when he saw you last, you'd thought that you'd at least get a bit of a smile, but you got no such thing. You diverted your gaze, resting your head on your hand as you traced your finger along the doodles on your desk. Your lips slowly formed a pout as you willed yourself to keep your eyes on your desk.

Through the entirety of math class, HueningKai continued to focus on the lesson which wasn't usual for him considering he always focussed on other things. He even answered the teachers questions, much to her, and everyone else's surprise.

When the lesson ended, you quietly huffed a sigh and then left the room for your next class. As you passed the empty foyer of the building, you were tugged from the crowd of students.

Of course, for the second time, it was HueningKai who had pulled you from the crowd.

"Sorry I didn't say hi," he began. His voice was different in pitch compared to when he answered the questions in class. "I don't like doing stuff like that in front of everyone else."

And with that, you released a breath of relief. Everyone had their own insecurities but after moving around so many times, you were always nervous that you would never have a stable friendship, and that fear typically reigned true in most other places, but you had thought that maybe you'd finally found some stable friends. It made you nervous when he didn't say anything.

"Now, I'm a hugger, so come here," he said happily, a smile growing on his face as he opened his arms.

Of course you willingly took the opportunity. You're not necessarily a hugger, but that didn't mean you don't love hugs.

HueningKai once again buried his face in the crook of your neck. The hug felt so comfortable. You could feel that he was excited to see you. You no longer felt the fear that previously reigned over your senses. You basked comfortably in the security that HueningKai provided and you felt assured that you two were most definitely friends, even if he didn't display it in front of prying eyes and gossipy mouths.

  ~

Being cooped up in the house wasn't a new thing for you. Neither was having your phone confiscated. You always try to forget about the people who chased you, but whenever you were kept inside for such a long time, it was hard to forget about them.