Somewhere That Isn't Home

Sitting with his eyes closed was a habit that Beomgyu had developed after a lifetime of taking care of his younger siblings. Getting shut eye felt like a luxury after losing so much sleep.

  Every time he was invited out by his friends, he found himself debating between shut eye and stress relief. Most times, he opted to sit in the back of Yeonjun's car, closing his eyes as the eldest drove. They never really had a particular destination. Away. That was all they had aimed for. They wanted to go away. Away from what? Well that was different for everyone.

  He had wished that today was one of those days where he could be in the friendly atmosphere of the car, but alas, instead he was at the kitchen table, watching his siblings do their own homework with no intention of doing his own homework. No matter how hard he preached the importance of good grades, it seemed he was always the one who never fulfilled that. He didn't really care. Homework was just something that added to the crushing responsibility and expectations he was expected to fulfill. He found himself fancying the idea of being a disappointment rather than adding more onto his plate.

  "I'm done!" His sister smiled happily, sliding her notebook over to Beomgyu.

  He looked over her neatly organized notes. He didn't read the material, but as he looked over her notes, he found himself beginning to smile as he flipped through the aesthetically pleasing pages.

  "Perfect," he smiled, handing her book back.

  She grabbed her notebook and scurried to her room, leaving only Beomgyu and his younger brother at the table. Beomgyu always felt like he had a difficult time relating to his brother. There was the age gap, sure, but then there was also the maturity gap. That was the main issue. Beomgyu was an adult to his brother. Of course with kids, there's this need to disobey authority, so he found himself rebelling against Beomgyu and Beomgyu found himself slipping closer and closer to giving up.

  "Done," his brother said, closing his notebook and moving to his room.

  "Hey. You know the drill," Beomgyu said, stopping his brother in his tracks. He held out his hand for the notebook. His brother rolled his eyes and roughly placed the notebook in Beomgyu's hands. Beomgyu looked through the notes and raised an eyebrow at the abrupt end of the unfinished notes.

  Beomgyu put the notebook down on the table and then crossed his arms, nodding towards it. He could hear the dissatisfied groan of his little brother as he stomped his way back to the table and pulled a pencil out of his case, roughly writing his notes, turned away from Beomgyu. He threw his pencil on the table and slammed the notebook shut, marching his way to his room without saying another word. Beomgyu checked and sure enough, the notes were finished now.

  He knew his brother was just frustrated, but he still didn't enjoy when his brother got mad at him. Nonetheless, his father would be home soon which meant Beomgyu could leave the house. He didn't often get the luxury that HueningKai and Yeonjun got. He didn't often get the chance to leave because he was always busy being a parent. Today, however, his father would be home early which means Beomgyu would be free to roam the town.

He laid on his sofa with his eyes closed until his dad got home, and pretty much as soon as he stepped in the door, Beomgyu was gone. Beomgyu was so excited to visit his Hyung at work. He didn't get the chance to do so that often, so he'd decided to surprise his Hyung.

As it turned out, that was a bad idea. He entered the convenience store cheerfully only for Soobin to not even be there! Beomgyu sighed sadly. He looked around the store, surprised to see you sitting at a table by the window.

  "You're HueningKai's friend, right? The one we saved from detention?" He asked, stepping by the table.

  "Oh, yeah, I guess that's me," you chuckled awkwardly, offering Beomgyu a friendly smile.