Chapter 15

I split off from the girls, who make their way over to Rory, Chase and Leo, to make the rounds of the bar. It's been decked out with bright streamers hanging from the wooden rafters, and there is a huge pink banner with the words "Happy 20thBirthday Addy" strung up at the back of the raised stage. It looks like it's set up for karaoke, which I can only assume is Hallie's doing.

The first person to grab my attention is Felix, who embraces me as I walk over to the bar where most of my work colleagues are scattered. He holds me just a tad longer than is comfortable, and I swear he sniffs my neck, not that I pull him up on it. "Happy birthday sexy," he drawls. Okay, someone has already had quite a bit to drink. We are in a bar, but it's 9pm, for Christ's sake.

"Hi Felix, thanks for coming," I respond with a friendly smile.

"I wouldn't have missed this for anything. Here, I got you a present," he says, and pulls a small velvet box out of his trouser pocket to hand to me. I accept and tentatively prise the lid open, revealing a delicate silver bracelet inside. I was not expecting jewellery. That's... intimate, for a gift to a friend.

I mask my surprise and say, "Wow, Felix, it's beautiful!" because it truly is, and give him another hug, fleeting this time, as I thank him profusely.

"Here, let me put it on your wrist," he says, grabbing my wrist before I get the chance to say anything. As he does up the clasp, I see him looking over my shoulder at something, but he fixes his attention back on me before I have a chance to see what it was.

Although the bracelet is very nice, and I dread to think about how much it cost with the fancy box it came in, I realise that I'm going to have to wear it all the time. I feel like Felix would definitely notice if it was absent from my wrist and call me out on it.

We fall into conversation with Sophie and a few others from work then, and I'm incredibly flattered to see that even Andrea has made an appearance. I was worried she might be secretly annoyed at me after that whole rude customer incident the other week, but it looks like I'm still in the good books, thankfully.

"Vodka or tequila shots?" Sophie asks the group, but I think the question is mainly meant for me, because everyone turns their heads in my direction.

I laugh, saying, "Woah, slow down, I haven't even had my first drink yet."

"May as well start with a bang," Sophie grins devilishly.

I am in the mood to get tipsy tonight, so I break under the peer pressure and say, "Fine, vodka it is."

She looks happy with that, and Clive receives a sharp order of, "A round of vodka shots for the birthday girl!"

I greet him as he prepares said shots, and he wishes me a happy birthday and promises a free cocktail on him later, which I plan on taking him up on, because Clive makes a mean pornstar martini.

When the tray laden with full shot glasses is placed into my hands, I pass them round to all of my co-workers, loving the fact that my freaking manager is here doing shots with me on my birthday. We clink glasses, and I throw the shot glass back, feeling the vodka burning its way down my throat. This night should get interesting.

I've just finished my formal birthday girl duties, and am on the lookout for my people. It doesn't take me long, because gingers are the easiest to spot in a crowd. Hallie and the rest of the group are tucked into the prime booth, that sits adjacent to the dance floor, and there's a spot on the end for me next to Cara, which I waste no time sliding into.

"Here's the old lady!" Leo exclaims, a cheeky grin on his face.

"Can it Leo, I'm still young at heart," I say with a glare.