Chapter 6

I wake up to the sound of banging coming from the flat next door. Inconsiderate morons.

But when I register that the sun is glaring through my blinds and look at the time on my phone, I realise I should be thanking them for waking me, because it's 11:58. I am meant to be meeting Rory at 12. Shit. I'm going to be so late. He's going to be so annoyed with me. Shit. Shit!

I throw myself out of bed and run around the small expanse of my room, gathering clothes that I left out yesterday and hastily putting them on. I don't even check to see if they match. No time for hair or makeup; he's getting a fresh-faced, frizzy-haired Addy today.

At least that might discourage him from looking at me in a way that is anything but platonic.

As I run to the bathroom, the flat empty because Hallie is working until later, I bring Mabel's number up on my phone and dial it, praying she picks up.

"Hey, Addy, what's up? Are you with my brother?" I breathe a sigh of relief when I hear her chirpy voice through the phone.

"No, about that, I woke up 2 minutes ago and I need his number so I can let him know I'm going to be late. I feel awful, I'm never late for anything."

"Oh, it's fine, he won't mind! He already has a soft spot for you. I doubt you could do anything at this point to make him dislike you."

"Good to know, I guess? And will you send his number?"

"Yes, I'll send his number, stop stressing. Have fun today!"

"Thank you, at least I haven't had time to get nervous about snowboarding for the first time."

"You'll be a natural, and Rory is amazing at it, so you'll be safe with him. Ring me later to let me know how it was!"

"Will do! Bye!"

    Adelaide

      Hey, it's Addy, I'm going to be about 10 minutes late

I am so, so sorry!!

Rory

Hey, did Mabel give you this number?

And stop stressing, it's fine J

    Adelaide

     Yeah, she did, and she just told me the same thing J

Rory

Sometimes she knows what she's talking about!

    Adelaide

     See you soon :P

Rory

I'll be waiting

The "I'll be waiting" succeeds in adding to the nerves already brewing in my stomach. I tell myself that new situations are good, and help me grow as a person, but they are also very, very scary. Especially when boys I don't know very well are involved.

I psych myself up for this as I speed-walk across the village. I have no reason to be nervous. It's only Rory. We spoke a lot last night. He's nice. And funny. And good at snowboarding. And knows first aid, evidently. No reason to be nervous at all.

I don't think I manage to fully convince myself, because the butterflies are still wreaking havoc inside of me. I no longer have any time to dwell on it though, because I'm at the store, and I spot Rory straight away, leaning casually against the outer window ledge, like he has all the time in the world. He's in a black down jacket, paired with grey ski pants and his boots. Some of his dark hair is poking out the front of his grey beanie hat, and I hate to say it, but he looks really good.