Chapter 11

Rory and I are out early, grabbing coffee on the way to the lifts to wake ourselves up after getting home past midnight from the ice rink.

I make him try my caramel macchiato – I decided to switch up my order today - and the reaction I get is very disappointing.

"That is way too sweet," he grimaces as he hands the paper cup back to me.

"It's perfect," I counter.

"You're a sugar addict."

"That, I can admit to. I'm surprised I've never had to have a filling."

"I guess you're lucky, too."

I smile at him and down the rest of my coffee, getting to the best bit where all of the syrup has fallen to the bottom of the cup.

We're queuing for the lift when he asks, "Did you have fun last night?"

"I did! I wasn't expecting to, but I did."

"You were pretty good by the end of the night."

"And I didn't even need help!" I say, very proud of myself.

"Only that one time when you and Hallie were convulsing with laughter on the floor."

"I could have got up without you," I say, giving him a sideways glare.

"I know. I just thought I would speed up the process," he says, letting me keep my pride.

"Thank you, then."

"Anytime," he smiles, and we step in front of the lift and wait for it to come around before we sit down.

I've never been to this part of the mountains before, and halfway down the slope we are on, I see a log cabin set into the trees. Rory turns towards it, and I follow behind, wondering what's inside, but I think I'm about to find out.

"Do you like hot chocolate?" Rory asks as he comes to a stop and lifts his goggles off his face.

"I love hot chocolate." I say honestly, because any form of chocolate is good with me.

"Then follow me," he says, unstrapping his boots, and I move to do the same.

He pushes the painted green door at the entrance to the cabin open, and inside is an open space with wooden tables and chairs, with a counter on the left-hand side that has a variety of snacks and a few hot drinks machines.

"Do you want to grab a table?"

"Sure," I say, and make my way towards an empty table that's near to the fireplace on the far wall of the cabin. I can feel the heat of the flames when I sit down, so I immediately take my jacket and snood off.

A minute later, Rory occupies the chair across from me and hands me a mug of steaming hot chocolate.

"Do you want anything to eat? They have snacks."

"Actually, I brought my own snacks," I say with a grin, and bring out two brownies in a Tupperware box that I baked earlier this morning.

"God, Hallie's right, I am such a mum," I say, shaking my head at myself as I hand Rory's brownie to him.

He laughs, saying, "That is definitely not a bad thing when it involves brownies," and immediately tries the brownie as I start to sip my hot chocolate, putting it back down immediately when I burn my tongue.

"Well?" I ask.

"Amazing. You should be a baker instead of a photographer."

I laugh, saying, "I wouldn't go that far."