Chapter Thirty-eight. Nathan.

NATHAN.

Crap. Crap. Crap. I miss Peanut. Like really miss her. It's actually been really fucking hard to focus since Friday when we all left on that assignment. And that had better be the the last time we leave Peanut behind.

But right here, right now, I need to see Sang. And I'm not the only one. Kota keeps gripping and regripping the steering wheel as he drives and Gabe. God Gabe. If he hits the back of my seat with his knee one more fucking time because he keeps bouncing his legs I'm going to hit him. I actually turn around to do just that when I see the anxiety in his eyes.

It's good to be reminded I'm not the only one who cares about Peanut. It's just I can think of better ways to remind me than a knee in the back every five seconds because, fuck, it is seriously annoying the shit out of me. And I'm the easy going one!

"Hey Gabe, dude, what are you picking out for Peanut to wear today?" I say. Well shit, I may as well try diversionary tactics. It has to be better than hitting my brother. "Shorts? Skirt? Dress?"

I see Kota look at me with a question in his eyes. 'Well, fuck Kota, I have to do something' is the message I send right back.

"Shorts! Seriously Nate! Shorts! Trouble is going out with the doc somewhere nice. To relax. Do you really think fucking shorts will work for that scenario. Besides, the doc likes Trouble in cute outfits, not the 'let's go play sport' shit you and Silas like. Not that she doesn't look fucking gorgeous whatever she wears, but shorts!!"

"Thank fuck I'm the one in charge of ......" I tune Gabe's rant out and I realise he's stopped kneeing me in the back. Success. I may have to listen to his rant over whether he should find a short dress or a long, flowy style as a change for Peanut to wear, but I can deal.

So long as I can see Peanut before she leaves for the morning. I'm good. Well, okay, I wouldn't complain if there was kissing involved, but I'll take whatever. So long as she's okay. That's all I care about, I think as we pull up at Victor's house and go upstairs.

I'm even okay if Kota sees her first. Which judging by the way he's making a beeline for Vic's room is the way things are going down. So I wander into the main room and judging by the look on Vic's face I know Peanut is okay. I didn't realise I was so tense about it all until I felt my shoulders relax.

I grab an iced coffee for Vic and myself before we start moving furniture over to the monster screen, waiting for Kota.

When he finally appears I literally drop the end of the sofa, giving Vic the finger over my shoulder when I hear him laugh. It's all right for him, he's seen Peanut today. Me, I'm like a thirsty man in a desert and only Peanut can fix the drought.

Walking into the bedroom I see Peanut isn't dressed. Well she is, just not in clothes. Gabe or Victor have obviously been shopping again, because she's wearing one of those short, silky type dressing gown things that girls seem to like.

Actually, looking at it, I like it myself. A lot. Hmm. "Hey Peanut. You doing okay?" I ask trying to take my mind off the distraction that is Peanut. Like that will ever work.

"Hi Honey, it's so good to see you." Sang said smiling at me. Just like that my world started spinning on its axis again. Everything felt right and in its proper order. Well I suppose it is. I'm holding Peanut and she's happy, so I am too.

"You too Peanut." I manage to choke out. Fuck I've got it bad. Get a grip Nathan I tell myself, before I decide 'screw that' and put the seal on a beautiful day by kissing my girl.

Coming up for air, Peanut starts giggling before nipping my finger when I put it over her mouth to stop her.

"Honey, could you do something for me please?" Sang asked seriously.