Chapter fourteen. Year One, part three.

Year 1. Part 3.

"Miss Sorenson, did you ever have that talk with your Grandfather?" Mr Blackbourne asked quietly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I did." Sang replied grinning.

"Would you mind telling us the outcome?"

"Sure." Closing her eyes Sang recited. "The Code for Great Ideas and Big Plans."

"Don't laugh Sean I was only about 6 you know."

"Rule 1. Always present any idea and/or plan to a responsible adult BEFORE acting on it. All ideas will be given fair consideration. Rule 2. Always seek help or supervision with a plan if tools, speed, great heights or potential dangerous activity is involved. Rule 3. Always seek parental consent for other children if they are to be involved. Rule 4. Have fun and don't kill yourself. Rule 5. Once you turn sixteen rules 1-3 are absolved, rule 4 remains in place."

"You know Rule 2 had a couple of fairly big loopholes." Sang murmured, nudging Sean who couldn't stop laughing.

"I believe we may need to review those rules."

Sang grinned. "Not a chance. I'm 16. All bets are off. There's a few things on a list in the chest we didn't get to and I'm planning on looking at that list again."

Sean just laughed harder.

Mr T, Crystals, Codes, Chests and Bucket Lists.

It was breakfast time a while later at home and Sang's Grammy had just shown her how to cook pancakes. "Rose, I've noticed you didn't bring Teddy with you to stay. Did something happen to Lily? You didn't put her down after you got her in the spring."

"Um, sort of Grammy. But she's okay. I promise."

"Uh huh. What happened?" Gramps asked getting involved but acting casual. "Best pancakes ever Rosie, but keep going." He said shoving more food in his mouth.

"Well um, MariebrokethedollyougaveherandmumsaidshecouldhaveLilyinstead."

"Whoa slow down sweetie, say that again."

"Marie broke the doll you gave her and mum said she could have Lily instead."

"Why did she do that, darling? Did she say?" Grammy asked quietly. Too quietly.

"Well, um, mum said I was naughty for being late home from school and I didn't deserve to keep Lily. But I wasn't late Grammy, honest. I can tell the time." Sang said quietly. "Please don't be mad at me."

"We're not mad at you Rosie. It was probably a misunderstanding." Grampa lied sharing a long look with his wife.

"Sweetie, I can't remember if I gave Spotty fresh water this morning? Could you check it for me please?"

"Of course Grampa. You two aren't mad at me?"

"Never." They said watching her skip off to play happy again.

"Let it out my love." Grampa said.

"WHAT THE... WHY...WHO DO... WHY CAN'T...DO THEY NOT .... ARRRRR." Sang's grandmother raged.

Gramps sat back looking at her. "Very succinctly put my darling. Question is, what do we do about it?"

"For starters. We'll get her a new bear. One that she'll love and no one else will look at. Second, we get her back here, alone, each summer. The full three months."

"Will it help her though?"

"Could it hurt, George! Really! I noticed her mother was cold towards her in the spring but that is just mean. That little girl has a sweet gentle soul, and her mother seems hellbent on destroying it."