Gut Feelings

When I wake early Wednesday morning, something feels wrong. I lie still for a moment, listening to the quiet breathing from the other girls. I can't place my finger on what's wrong, but after a moment, I chalk it up to everything going on with Rylie.

Maybe a visit to Chester will help.

A quick glance at my phone shows it's 5:03am. Too early to see Chester, but I've got to get out. I pull on sweats and a sweater before slipping out the door. The early August air is cool, and I'm glad for the sweater. A light mist hangs over the camp, giving it an almost eerie vibe. The warm orange lights only add to the effect. It's quiet, only the nearby waves break the silence.

The lighting is dim, with only the lights around camp to guide my way. I decide to sit for a moment and enjoy the silence, not expecting the memory that takes place instead.

FLASHBACK

I run my fingers through my hair as the doorbell rings, pleased with my reflection. Gabe and I are going to a banquet for his college, and then a movie. I think he was trying to make up for dinner with my mom a few weeks ago, though he'd never admit to that. He had been really sweet lately, and I was thankful for that, but a part of me couldn't help but wonder when he would snap.

I open the door, smiling when Gabe instantly pulls me into a hug. "I missed you." He breathes into my hair. "You ready to go?" I nod, and he pulls me out the door to his car.

"I'm really excited for you to meet these guys. They're great, and they can't wait to have me on the team. It's like I have a whole bunch of older brothers!" Gabe rambles on, pride for his soon to be team evident on his face.

He slides his hand to my thigh, brushing his thumb across the exposed skin. His fingers slowly inch up, and after a moment, I place my hand over his to keep it from going further. I try not to feel bad for this. We'd already gotten close to passing what I was comfortable with. It was okay to wait until I was ready, right?

When we arrive at his college campus, I'm a bundle of nerves. Gabe opens my door before taking my hand in his and leading me towards a big grey building.

Tall lamp posts line the sidewalk, casting an orange glow over us. The sun is already setting, adding to the glow. People move around us, going about their lives. Most of them are around Gabe's age, all rushing to get to their next class. I don't miss the looks other girls give Gabe, and I tighten my fingers around his.

We make it inside the building and find our table, and I smile when Gabe pulls my chair out for  me. "Thank you." I lean over and give him a kiss as he takes his spot next to me.

"Oh, look! It's some guys from the team. Mind if I go say hi?" Gabe asks me. I don't have time to respond before he's already moving towards them. The next 30 minutes pass slowly as I sit at the table by myself. Gabe talks to his people, seeming to completely forget about me.

What happened to being excited for me to meet them?

Only when dinner is announced does Gabe come back to the table. "I can't wait to be on the team, babe. These guys are awesome."

Oh really? I couldn't tell.

I brush aside my annoyance, giving Gabe a smile. "You really look up to them!"

Gabe nods with a grin. "They'll look up to me soon."

Dinner passes quickly with more conversation of Gabe's team. I try to ignore the dull pain beginning behind my eyes, but it only continues to grow.

"What do you say we skip the movie and hang out with some of the guys instead?" Gabe asks me as we're finishing dinner.

"I don't know, I was really looking forward to the movie."