Fall.

"I don't understand why I need to go with you for your job interview. I could have stayed home watching TV. "Zala complained when we were on our way to the juvi center.

The story of a job interview was the best lie I could come up with.
I told Zala that I had a job interview and orientation today.
I asked her to come with me because "I couldn't leave an eight year old behind".

"What if the house caught fire when I wasn't home huh? "I asked her.

"I'd run out, duh. "Zala answered me.

"Maybe but do you know how much trouble I'd be in with the cops... The fire fighters, God even the neighbors would be mad at me. I'd be labeled as irresponsible. "I explained to Zala.

Zala continued with the 'what if' questions. I was more than glad that she was talking so much.
Silence brought so many thoughts in my head.
What if our lawyer doesn't help as much?
What if Zala stays in jail for more than a month?
What if she's beaten up in jail?
Or killed, kids are capable of anything?

"Finally. "Zala said when we reached the center.

I parked the car at the back so that she wouldn't read the huge label of the juvi at the main entrance.
This building looked nothing like a jail from the back.
When we parked we could hear kids laughing.
That was a good thing.... I guess.
We entered through the back.
A kind police officer showed us to the registration room.
I whispered to the officer about my current situation and she made sure Zala was comfortable.

"Name. "The registration officer asked Zala in a rude tone.

Before hand I told Zala that they wanted to know everything about me. Which included her.
She didn't ask many questions before she agreed to do it.

"Zala Nayo Pauls. "Zala answered her.

"Spell that, the Zala whatever and the No yo. "The registration office asked Zala rudely, mispronouncing her second name.

I could tell that Zala wasn't enjoying that moment but she answered every question anyway.
After that interview Zala had a folder now.
She asked me so much about it but I gave her whatever answer I came up with right there.
I asked Zala to seat at a bench as the kind officer showed me around.
If I took Zala with me she'd know exactly whats happening because she's not that stupid.

"She'll be fine Miss McCoy. "The kind officer told me as I looked down at the little kids eating.

I was so close to crying. The kids down there were so small.
As I was watching down on the kids in their cafeteria I noticed a fight spark off but the officer moved me away from our standing quickly.
The officer showed me all their rooms and facilities.
I saw the whole place but I just didn't want the tour to end.
The tour ending meant that it was time to leave Zala here.

"That's about it miss McCoy. We need to take Zala in now before her time in expires. "The officer told me.

Before we got here I was warned that if she was brought in late it would be harder to get her out.

"Okay. "Was my only answer.
Before we got to the room, I wiped at least six tears off my face.
This was a lot to take in and alone.
Malcolm must really be upset to not show up for me.