Circle of light.

8:45pm

I sat on a small stool next to Caesar by a small fire, talking to him when really my eyes and mind were somewhere else. My eyes fell on the many other people around me...
Caesar's cousins, uncles, aunties and every other family title there is. I looked at them in admiration as they laughed with each other, talked, hugged, argued and simply admired each embrace they awarded each other.
They were little fires everywhere. The wood Caesar chopped up was finally in use.
I'm generally insecure about everything but around them that feeling turned off for a while.

"They gone think you're weird now if you keep looking over there and laughing like you with them. " Caesar said making me aware.

I just smiled. It was embarrassing but I just loved his family.

"Why can't we go over to the braai and the music? " I asked watching most of his family dancing by the braai.

Caesar wasn't so social and always made excuses to avoid company.

"They said I can just stay here with you.... To avoid it being awkward for you. " he answered.

"Well I want to go there. " I said now getting up.

I knew Caesar didn't want to go to the braai because of how he looked at me and also because of his hesitation to get up.

Caesar

I was thinking I'd have a moment with Genesis and maybe tell her how I feel. But this girl was dancing..... She was singing and clapping with all my dorky family members.
I could see them love her. They danced with her like they've always known her. Most of my family couldn't even say a simple hi to me because I supposedly had the most unapproachable facial expressions all the time but with her it was a pass at first sight.

"That was so much fun. " Genesis said as she walked up to me with a drink in her hand.

"Yah. " I said.

I have to find a better response, I thought to myself because 'yah' was getting irritating even for me.

"Why did you leave me alone for an hour though, you said only a song. " I asked.

"It was an hour? It felt like ten minutes. " she replied now fanning herself.

Genesis was actually over there for an hour, talking about God knows what with my cousins.

"Your cousins told me that you're not so nice sir. " she added.

"They capping. We've just out grown each other and they from the big cities. They're spoiled or whatever." I defended myself.

Genesis went back to them because of a call from my cousin Maya. Its like they knew I'd hate that they kept calling her and continued to do it throughout the bonfire.

11:45pm

"You can stay here for sure Genesis. " I heard my father say in the kitchen.

The party was over and all my family people up and left. I was clearing up after they're messes asses.

"Hey... Why are you staying over? " I asked Genesis as kindly as I could when my dad left.