Chapter Five: The Second Task

"You both told me that you'd figured the egg out weeks ago! The task is two days from now!" Hermione scolded the two boys.

Y/N kept silent. Y/N didn't want to lie to Hermione but she's been stressed out enough from studying and worrying about her best friend and lover because of the tournament. He didn't want her to stay up late at nights trying to help the two boys. 

"Really? I had no idea." Harry replied sarcastically.

The trio were standing at a small bright, peeking their heads out of the window-like opened spaces. It was cold and the sun was setting.

"I suppose Viktor's already figured it out." Harry said, taking a quick glance at the couple.

Y/N stood next to Hermione, their hands interlocked together.

"Wouldn't know." Y/N whispered, staring at the sunset.

"We don't actually talk about the tournament, it'd be cheating for Y/N." Hermione stated.

"We don't really talk at all. Viktor's more of a physical being..." Y/N added, trailing off at the end.

"He keeps trying to challenge Y/N to duels, attacking him at random times." Hermione explained.

The three stood in silence for a few seconds before Harry let out a small laugh.

"It's a bit annoying, actually. Whenever I'm about to fall asleep, watching Hermione study, he'd come out of nowhere and announce that we'd be dueling..." Y/N grumbled causing the other two to giggle.

Y/N got off his spot and stood behind Hermione, wrapping his arms around her waist and tucking his head in the middle of her shoulder and neck. Hermione gave him a quick kiss on the head before turning to Harry.

"You both are trying to figure this egg out, aren't you?" Hermione asked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"It just means these tasks are designed to test you both... in the most brutal way. They're almost cruel." Hermione answered as Harry's eyes darted around.

"And uhm..." She started, making Harry face her.

"I'm scared for both of you..." 

Y/N sighed and gave Hermione a soft kiss on the neck. He was trying, really. But every time he opened the egg he'd wince in pain. Due to his training with his sword master, his hearing was far more sensitive than most people.

"Harry, you got by the dragons mostly on nerve, and Y/N you were lucky you didn't have to fight the dragon for a long amount of time. You could have passed out again or gone out of control. I'm not sure your strategies are going to be enough this time." Hermione continued, raising her hand to play with Y/N's hair.

"Hey, Potter, Y/N!" Someone yelled, gaining their attention.

Y/N groaned, placing another kiss on Hermione's neck before raising his head to see Cedric running over to them. Harry got up from his spot and started walking away after seeing him. Y/N looked at Hermione who sighed before giving him a nod.

Y/N ran over to Harry, pulling his hand to stop him as Cedric slowed down to a stop.

"How... How are you?" Cedric asked awkwardly.

Y/N tilted his head, confused.

"Spectacular..." Harry asked with confusion in his voice.

Cedric took a deep breath and looked towards the ground before looking up at the two boys once more.

"Look, I- I realize I never really thanked you both properly for tipping me off about those dragons." Cedric said humbly.

"Forget it." Harry said, shaking his head.

"You would have done the same for us, Ced." Y/N added, his voice softening.

"Exactly! You know the Prefects' bathroom, on the fifth floor?" Cedric asked the two boys.

Y/N and Harry nodded their heads slowly.

"It's not a bad place for a bath." Cedric continued, leaning down to their heights.

"Just take your egg... and... mull things over in the hot water." He said, walking away.

Y/N and Harry exchanged a weirded out look before Harry started walking away too.

"Ced, wait!" Y/N called out, running over to the taller and older Hufflepuff boy.

"I'm gonna be just like you!" Y/N exclaimed.

"What's this about?" Cedric laughed.

Cedric was happy to see Y/N full of energy, talking way more than he usually did. Y/N was about half a head shorter than Cedric which means that he had to look down and watch the boy talk.