Chapter Six: Unknown Origins

Harry, Y/N and Ron made their way to the hospital, to visit Hermione. Harry and Ron were sat on chairs beside Hermione as Y/N changed the dead flowers next to her into newer, fresher ones. He looked at Hermione with guilt on his face, he wished he could swap places with her. He wanted to hear her voice, her laugh. He wanted Hermione back.

"Wish you were here Hermione..." Harry spoke up snapping Y/N out of his thoughts.

"We need you... Now more than ever..."

Ron looked at her with a sigh as Y/N grabber Hermione's hand, rubbing it with his thumb, fighting the urge to blame everything on himself once more. Y/N felt something whilst holding Hermione's hand, startled, he looked down seeing a crumpled piece of paper. He quickly pulled it out of Hermione's hand, unfolding it. 

"What's that?" Ron whispered raising an eyebrow at Y/N.

"Harry, Ron." Y/N spoke up.

"This is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked." He continued.

"I never bothered to ask her, thinking she only wanted to study..." Y/N sighed at himself before reading the piece of paper once more.

He then looked towards Harry and Ron, signaling for them to follow him as he ran out.

"Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years... Instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it." Harry read out the two boys, clenching the parchment in his hand.

"This is it! The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a basilisk. That's why Y/N and I can hear it speak. It's a snake!" Harry exclaimed.

Y/N simply nodded towards him while Ron gave them a skeptical look.

"But if it kills by looking people in the eye, why is it no one's dead?" Ron questioned.

The three thought for a moment.

"Because no one did look it in the eye..." Y/N suggested.

"Not directly, at least." Harry added, also realizing.

"Colin saw it through his camera... Justin... Justin must have seen the basilisk through Nearly Headless Nick. Nick got the full blast of it. But he's a ghost, he couldn't die again." Harry explained as the trio walked across the hallways.

"And Hermione had the mirror... She must have been using it to look around corners in case it came along." Y/N added, still concerned about their bushy haired friend.

"And Mrs. Norris? I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror." Ron questioned.

"The water..." Y/N whispered.

"There was water on the floor that night. She only saw the basilisk's reflection." Harry continued, getting the idea.

The three continued down the hall lost in thought before Harry pulled them to a corner.

"Spiders flee before it." Harry pointed out on the ripped out page.

"It all fits." Y/N said calmly.

"How's a basilisk been getting around? A dirty, great snake. Someone would have seen it." Ron questioned as Harry returned the piece of paper to Y/N.

"Hermione's answered that already..." Y/N replied, showing the handwritten word to Ron.

"Pipes? It's using the plumbing?" Ron asked, looking towards the ceiling.

"Remember what Aragog said? About that girl 50 years ago? She died in a bathroom? What if she never left?" Harry said, giving hints to Ron.

"Moaning Myrtle?" Ron questioned earning a nod from Y/N.

"All students are to return to their house dormitories at once." A voice said through a speaker.

"All teachers to the second-floor corridor immediately." It continued.

The trio ran off towards the teachers instead of the dormitories.

"A student has been taken by the monster into the Chamber itself." They overheard as they approached.

"The students must be send home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts." Professor McGonagall continued.

"So sorry. Dozed off. What have I missed?" Lockhart exclaimed with a smile as he trudged over to the rest of the professors.

"A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last." Snape spat.

"My-My moment?" Lockhart questioned, startled.

"Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?" Snape snapped.

"That's settled. We'll leave you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy." McGonagall finished.

"Your skills, after all, are legend."

"Very well." Lockhart responded with pride.

"I'll just be in my office getting... Getting ready..."

He then walked off.

"Who is it that the monster's taken, Minerva?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"Ginny Weasley..." She responded with remorse.

Ron was shocked, his own little sister had been taken. Harry and Y/N shared a concerned look. Even Professor Snape had a worried look on his face. The professors then walked away, revealing writing on the wall. "Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever" The writing read, written in blood. 

"Lockhart may be useless, but he's going to try and get into the Chamber." Harry yelled as the three ran across the halls making their way to the Defense Against The Dark Arts classroom.

"I highly doubt it..." Y/N whispered as he ran with them.

The three burst into the room to see Lockhart frantically running across the room, packing his stuff.

"Are you going somewhere?" Harry replied, catching his breath.

"U-uhm, well, yes. Urgent call. Unavoidable. Gotta go." Lockhart blurted.

"What about my sister?" Ron shouted.

"Well uhm- As to that, most unfortunate. No one regrets more than I." He said as he searched through his papers on his desk.

"You're the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. You can't go now!" Ron argued.

"Well I must say- When I took the job, there was nothing in the description-" Lockhart said before making his way to the door.

"You're running away?" Harry spat out as Y/N blocked his path.

"After all that stuff you did in your books?"

"Books can be misleading." Lockhart retaliated.

"You wrote them." Y/N said sternly, placing his hand on his sword.

"My dear boy, use your common sense! My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done all those things!" Lockhart exposed.

"You're a fraud. You've just been taking credit for what other wizards have done!" Harry scolded.

Y/N glared at him as Ron and Harry outed him.

"Is there anything you can do?" Ron asked.

"Yes, now you mention it. I'm rather gifted with memory charms." Lockhart said, trying to grab his wand.

In a flash, Y/N had his sword out, holding it backwards as usual. As Lockhart turned his back to face the trio, Y/N had his sword at Lockhart's neck.

"If you so much as try to cast a spell at my friends, I will have your head rolling down on this very floor." Y/N whispered with a glare, his red eyes shining.

Lockhart then dropped his wand with a gulp, Y/N sheathed his sword and turned towards the two other boys.

The trio, and Lockhart made their way to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom with Y/N leading Lockhart, wand behind his back.