59 | A Bitter-Sweet Valentines Day

February 14, 2022

Nick

Nova and I had gotten our scheduling mixed up a bit, so we had to postpone the whole dress shopping date thing until tomorrow, seeing that the Valentine's Day game was today.

We had on custom jerseys to go with love day. They were pink and white, with black tracing around the words and numbers. I wasn't a fan, but at least I wasn't the only one wearing them.

Up until now, I had done a good job blocking out what Lewis said about hooking up with Nova. There was a chance that he was just trying to get under my skin, because he and I haven't really been fond of one another lately, but there's also a chance that he isn't lying. Because I mean, he was like completely over Nova's shit just a month ago, why would he make that up about her out of all people?

Nova hadn't been acting differently though, so it's hard to tell. As much as I somewhat wanted to, I didn't even both confronting her, because she technically had free will. What I said to Lewis wasn't a lie, as much as I wish it was. Nova and I really were an open relationship.

***

I had gotten Nova a one time, two week vacation pass to this yacht place, where she and one other person could go on free cruises whenever they would like. I also got her these custom made sneakers with her name on it. I really just wanted to show her that I cared enough for her to consider actually being my real girlfriend. My objective for these next few months was to get Nova to fall in love with me for real by the time prom comes around.

Nova and I originally weren't seeing eye to eye about when we were giving presents, but we ultimately decided to just do it at school because of the fact that I had a game and if anything, I could just leave the present in my locker until the next non-game day day I didn't have time or space to take it home.

"Here" Nova said as she handed me a box, "happy Valentine's Day my love." I smiled and pulled out a shoe box with an envelope taped to it. "Happy Valentine's Day" I said back, "cheers to many more tap kisses." Nova chuckled, "open it!"

I unwrapped the somewhat small box, and saw a gaming controller that was customized with my name, and pictures from football. "Sweet!" I said, "this really is an amazing gift Nova. Thank you." Nova smiled, "I also got you candy but that's not important. I'm just glad you like it."

"You're gonna like yours" I said, "so open it." Nova nodded and opened the envelope first, which I expected. "This pass gives you and one other a two week getaway to San Leon Se Cruz" Nova said aloud, turning the brochure pass thingy in all different directions. "Expires never. Aw, this is really cool Nick. Maybe we can go on day."

I tried to play it cool but I smiled from ear to ear once Nova put her head down to look at the second half of the gift. "Shoes" she said as she pulled out the Nike Air Force sneakers with a customized Nike logo that was dripping purple. It read her name in cursive white ink on top of the purple as well.

"You did better than me" she said hugging me, "I don't think I could top any of this, thank you." I smiled, genuinely happy to be getting this type of attention from Nova, despite what I knew about she and Lewis. "No need to thank me" I said as I embraced Nova. "You're my girl, this is my job."

***

Nova

I didn't understand football whatsoever, but based off of the fan's behaviors, I suppose it was safe to assume that we were winning.

"Four more seconds!" Sophie said excitedly as she, May, Hailey, Aubrey and I all sat in a high up seat on the bleachers, dressed in Valentine's Day gear. Aubrey had me turn on my location earlier because the game was packed, but I now wondered if I still needed it. I was just gonna leave it on anyways.