32 | Nova November

Nova

I wasn't exactly on punishment but my mom was skeptical of me leaving the house. That may have just been because she feared for my safety though, which at this point, was understandable.

The only good thing about me being suspended was that Hailey was given a chance to come over. Aubrey contacted me a few times, but never stopped by, which I'm not exactly mad about. I still don't fully trust her.

My 18th birthday was tomorrow and I was confident that I didn't have plans. But it was whatever, because I guess I somewhat inflicted this on myself if I go back and actually piece together how this all began.

***

"Nova!" My mom yelled, causing me to jolt out of my sleep. I began to slowly put my head back down when I heard her yell again. "Nova! Come down here! Somebody came to see you!" I groaned.

I had this weird long tank top on, with sweatpants and slippers. I was hoping that whoever it was that came to see me, wasn't attractive in any way. Hopefully it was Hailey, or maybe even Maddie, even though the latter is very unlikely.

"Hey" I heard a male voice say, as I groggily looked at them. Once I was able to register in my head that this voice was Lewis, my eyes shot wide open, and I used my shirt to fix any drool. "Hi!" I said.

"Hi!" Lewis said back cheerfully, mimicking me. "What's going on?" I asked, "why are you here?"

Normally in a situation like this, I'd probabaly be overwhelmed and talking at a thousand miles per hour whilst trying to fix myself, but somehow that didn't happen. I guess I just didn't have the energy. Or maybe, I didn't know what I felt for Lewis?

"Look, I know this week has been tough, but it's your big day tomorrow" Lewis began, "so through a string of connects, I was able to get a little house party going for you. I promise you'll be safe."

I smiled sheepishly, "it's not me you gotta tell that to" I replied, "it's my mom." My mom sat around in the living room, feet away from me, listening to our conversation. "How is she gonna be safe?" she asked Lewis.

"She went through some things" Lewis said, but I gave him a look before he could go any further on that topic. "Because of that, the football team does their best to keep her safe. Even if they can't, I can give you my full blessing. I will."

"My mom shrugged, "you're grown now Nova, so the choice is yours. Whatever you do though, please do not bring any drama to my damn house." I smiled at my mom allowing me to go, "I promise I wont ma."

I looked back at Lewis who's eyes seemed to be examining my whole face. "Cool" he said, "so I'll pick you up tomorrow at noon. You don't have to set up anything girl don't worry." I did a small chuckle at the "girl" bit, then hugged Lewis goodbye.

Aubrey

"Nothing fits me Jason!" I said, panicking. "Nova's party is tomorrow and I wanna look my best."

Jason looked at me funny, "why do you wanna look your best for Nova's party?" he asked, "it's just a birthday."

I rolled my eyes, "I know, but I always wanna look good" I said, lying.

For some reason, I did wanna look good at this party, but I wasn't exactly sure why. I mean Nova and I have some history in terms of romance, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a way about, but lately I've been sincerely trying to convince myself that it's a phase and I'll be over it soon.

I really do not tolerate abuse, so I'm also trying to be a friend to Nova, but I'm also still very headstrong on my prom queen campaign. However, I do believe that I have a lead on Nova, considering the fact that everybody knows about that hot mess between she, Nick, May and Lewis.

"Anyways" Jason said, seeming to not wanna continue on the topic, "why doesn't anything fit?"

"I don't know" I shrugged, "my mid-section is starting to get bigger. Maybe I'm eating too much."

"You barely eat" Jason said, "I can only remember like two instances within the last two and a half months that I've seen you eat. Maybe you should test? Just to be on the safe side?"

"Test?" I asked, shocked. "Like a pregnancy test? Are you crazy? Why would I be pregnant?"

"Because you've gotten your period before?" Jason replied, looking at me funny, "and because you're sexually active, at times with no protection. That's a recipe and a half for pregnancy."

Suddenly that thought invaded my brain, and I couldn't even focus on anything else. "What color? Pink or pregnancy?" I asked, grabbing two random dresses in attempts to change the topic.

"What?" Jason questioned, "pink or pregnancy?" I looked at Jason with confused eyes, "huh?" I asked, "I said pink or purple. Not what you just said."

"No you didn't" Jason replied, shaking his head. "I heard you loud and clear. You said pink or pregnancy." I huffed, "pink it is then."

Nick

"You can't go to that party tomorrow" Maddie insisted, following me to my room, "you'll look desperate. That's your lying, cheating, ex-girlfriend's party. If you're still around after all she's done then you'll look like some type of simp."

I knew that Maddie just didn't know all that happened between Nova and I, which was why she talked about Nova in that manner, but I didn't feel like telling her. Not right now at least.

"I mean the whole team is going, and majority of the student body," I replied to Maddie, "I wanna see my friends, that's all. You should come."

"I'm not going to that whore's party" Maddie insisted with confidence. "I owe you loyalty even if you can't be loyal to yourself. Nova doesn't deserve a hyped birthday party at all."

Deep down I knew that wasn't true. Nova deserves the world, even though she's made a mistake here and there. But she's also human, and inexperienced, which I've taken into consideration.

"I guess" I replied.