13 | Do YOU Like Her?

Nova

Since me letting Nick drop me off two days ago, he's been obsessed with picking me up and bringing me places. At this rate, we'll be inseparable within a month. In all honesty though, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me.

I'm starting to become really comfortable with Nick. Comfortable to the point that I can't leave him alone, and I always wanna be around him. I asked Maddie if I should chill a little, but she encouraged my current behavior. She said that Nick seems really receptive to it and probably enjoys it, so I continued.

"So I see you told Maddie about us finally doing stuff?" Nick asked, as I entered the car. I chuckled, "yeah" I said, "hopefully you're okay with that. She's like my only female friend, you know." Nick smiled.

"Of course I'm okay with that! I mean I don't get all this girl stuff but from what I was told, if a girl is telling people about stuff you two do privately, then that means that she's excited" Nick nudged me in a making fun manner. "So that must mean that somebody really likes me" he insisted in a gushy tone, cutely mocking me. I smiled.

The drive to school seemed fast but I think it was just more so because I really enjoyed Nick's presence, making time fly by when he was around. As we exited the car, however, we saw Jason and Aubrey emerging from Aubrey's car, not too far away from us. Aubrey looked completely "over it" once she had seen me.

"What's up bro?" Jason asked Nick, as he approached us, Aubrey dragging behind. Jason gave me a smile, but it wasn't too good of a smile, which I assume is more so because Aubrey was right there. Jason looked at Aubrey and made a face, almost like that of a parent that looks at their child when they want them to do something.

Aubrey began to blush as if she was shy, but she definitely fucking wasn't. "Hi" she let out softly, before just walking around Nick, Jason and I entirely and heading toward the school. Jason looked at us, then looked at his girlfriend as she walked away, then looked back at us. "She's been weird these last few days. I'm sorry, I'll catch up with y'all later."

Nick nodded but I didn't do anything. Jason wasn't my friend, so I truthfully don't care. I didn't even care enough to question Nick on why he was friends with this kid again. But then again, they did have history beforehand, and I'm sure that their relationship was as strong as iron prior to Aubrey and I entering their lives.

Aubrey

"What the hell was that about?" I could hear Jason asking in the distance. His voice got louder and clearer by the second, which told me that he was catching up to me.

I rolled my eyes before turning around, "I don't know what you're talking about" I lied, "all I said was hi. I need to get to class."

"You've been acting so weird when Nova gets brought up lately" Jason clapped back, kind of rudely. "When I told you that I talked to them the other day, you changed the topic. When we were driving through the city and I pointed out that the lady holding the ugly art piece looked like Nova, you sped up."

"Okay" I forced a small laugh as I cut Jason off. "You know what, Jason? You talk about Nova so much, that I'm starting to think that you like her."

Jason's mouth fell agape. "I like her?" he asked, "Aubrey I've mentioned her maybe six times at most, and many of those times were because of your bullshit. Nova doesn't seem like a bad person whatsoever, you need to cut it out."

"And you" I said dramatically as I pointed my right index finger at my boyfriend, "need to stop obsessing over her. She has a man, Jason."

I could see the exact moment that my words ticked Jason off, "do you like her?" he asked, practically yelling, exaggerating the "you" bit. "For fucks sake Aubrey, you keep mentioning how I might like her when you know damn well that I don't. I just have no hard feelings. I'm not the one acting peculiar."

I sighed and folded my lips in, slightly embarrassed because Jason raised his voice in a crowded hall. "I'll talk to you at the end of the day" I replied in defeat. I had nothing to snap back with and my ego was bruised, although I hate to admit it.

"I'm sorry" Jason began, but I shook my head. "I just need space Jason" I said, remaining firm on my decision as I began walking away towards my first period class. The same exact class that I had to see Nova in.

Nova

I watched as Aubrey came into the classroom, late. She didn't have the same demeanor that she usually carries herself with. In fact, she sort of looked bummed or down, similar to how she was in the bathroom the other day. Of course, I wanted to ask her if she was okay, but I didn't want to grab anybody else's attention and I definitely did not want to run the risk of Aubrey spazzing out at me.

I didn't stare at Aubrey, the fear of her catching me kept me from doing so. But I side-eyed her every now and then in an attempt to see what she was doing. For the most of the class, she had her head down and bounced her leg like she was anxious. I felt bad, I began wondering if she was actually going through something at home.