Chapter Eighteen

LEXI

As soon as the screen door slammed shut behind Erin I let out a sigh of relief. I was afraid she was going to push for more, demand some answers about last night. I knew it was shitty of me to just leave the two of them there at the club, but I didn't have any choice. I both deserved and expected Erin's wrath but was honestly grateful when it never came.

I didn't tell her where I really spent the rest of last night. Instead I made up some bullshit excuse about hooking up with some guy from high school. It was the same story I fed Mary this morning when I apologized to her. I made it up because I knew they'd believe it, but it wasn't the truth. I never ran into any friends last night. There was no other party that I went to. And the only guy from high school that I saw had me so terrified that I hightailed it out of the club and sat by myself at the beach until sunrise.

It was a relief when my sisters bought the lie. The lie was so much easier to handle than the truth; it always had been. And the sad truth was that I couldn't stay here any longer. I had to leave. All I had to do was come up with a lie that Mary and Erin would believe.

I put my coffee cup in the sink and turned to head up the stairs to pack. I had only gotten a few items into my bag when I looked up and saw Will leaning against my bedroom door. I jumped, clutching at my heart and letting out a startled shriek.

"Jesus Will! You just about gave me a heart attack." I let out a ragged breath as my brain caught up with my senses and I shifted uneasily on my feet. I hadn't seen Will since I bailed last night, and him turning up here made me think he wanted an explanation.

But I didn't have one to give him.

Over the years Will had developed the habit of just walking into our house, but usually that was to see Erin. He had never been inside my room before and it suddenly felt too small. His eyes flicked over to the bag on my bed and his expression changed.

"Going somewhere?" he bristled, stepping further into my room and fingering the bag on the bed. Guiltily, I pulled my gaze away from him but didn't answer; I hadn't had time to come up with a viable excuse yet, and I knew Will would see through any bullshit lie I threw at him. So I just kept my mouth closed.

"Is it true then?" His eyes were dark and his body was coiled with uncharacteristic anger. I shuffled back; not understanding what he was asking, but knowing that it couldn't be good by the expression he wore.

"Is what true?"

"I talked to Mary this morning. I asked her where you ran off to last night and she said you hooked up with some guy from high school." He edged closer to me and confusion filled my face as I stared up at him. "Is. It. True."

I didn't understand why he was so upset. If anything he should be relieved. This let him off the hook. He didn't have to worry about hurting me; he could walk away guilt-free now. I pushed my shoulders back and flared up at him, hating the idea that he thought so little of me that he'd believe it, but reminding myself to be thankful that he did. This was our way out of this awkward mess.

"So what if I did?" I challenged, stepping forward and getting into his space. "Why do you even care Will?"

His eyes grew and then narrowed in again, honing in on me and focusing with such intensity that I found myself looking away. "I care about you Lexi."

As a friend, I reminded myself. Will cared about me as Erin's little sister, someone he's known for years, nothing more. I shook my head.

"Don't Will. Don't care about me. Don't worry about me. Don't bother with me. I'm fine." I turned towards my dresser but he stopped me. Reaching out, he took hold of my arm and tugged me back towards him. My whole body froze the moment it landed against his. My skin came alive and my breath hitched in my throat. He lifted his hand and drew it along my cheek, resting it just underneath my chin and pulling my face up towards his.