Chosen - Chapter Fifty-One

Chapter Fifty-One

The man behind me shoved to the ground so I was kneeling before the three men. I glared behind me at him.

The man on the center throne stood and clasped his hands in front of his mouth. His twinkling eyes trained on me. His shoulder-length black hair was tied back with a white ribbon. His tanned skin seemed to glisten. The black cloak clasped under his chin with a beautiful golden pin.

"Lady Joselyn. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am that you are here. We have all heard so much about you."

He stepped around from the table and circled me as though I were a prize horse up for auction. "Likewise. I'm going to have to assume you are Agnolo."

He laughed lightly and spun to the other two. "See! She is smart! I didn't even have to introduce myself."

"Please do not pacify me. I am more intelligent than that," I said through gritted teeth.

He spun to look at me, eyes narrowed. Pointing a finger at me, he smiled a maniacal smile. "I knew there was something about you the day Francis and Claude presented you to us."

"I don't understand."

"You do not remember? That day, oh how long has it been now? Twelve years?"

I shook my head, staring at him in confusion.

"Oh, Joselyn. You were nothing but a wee thing back then. No taller than my knees."

"You were here, Joselyn?" Angeline whispered.

I shook my head never taking my eyes off the man. "No. Never."

"But you were."

"Why don't I remember?" I asked.

"You wouldn't. We do employ seers. They come in quite handy at times."

"Seers? The psychics?" I asked.

"Not quite psychics. We don't necessarily believe in the divinations, but they do come in handy for a potion or two."

"You used potions to make me forget? When I was a child?"

He shrugged and returned to his seat.

"Agnolo, are you finished?"

I eyed the man who spoke. His blonde hair contrasted greatly with the elders. His face pale white and his eyes green as the shamrocks in Ireland. His clasp red though.

"Vincenzo."

He pressed his lush lips into a thin line. I guessed correctly.

"Why are you here?" the man who sat to the right of Agnolo's chair asked.

"If you have had people following me I'm sure you already know."

He closed his eyes slowly and turned his head.

"You killed our top watcher. That could not have been an easy task," Agnolo said, running his hands through my tangled curls. "Your hair is quite beautiful."

I pulled my head away only to have him backhand me. I fell to the side, landing with a thud. I reached my tied hands up to my mouth, wiping at the blood.

Angeline let out a small whimper.

He turned his attention to her and tusked. "A watcher should be able to handle a bit of discipline. I'm very disappointed in you. We had hoped would manage to keep our assassin in check."

"I told you she was a mistake when that crazy guy brought her in," Vincenzo said.

"For once yes, brother, you are right."